New video essay on Max Baer

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by KletkoNetwork, Feb 17, 2021.

1. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I was waaaay off about her being a model. Lol..She was grouped together with a bunch of Israeli models on Facebook...lol maybe none of them are models either.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  2. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Excellent video. I knew Baer was misunderstood but I didn't know just how badly Campbell's death affected him or that his trainer switched corners (I would have been pissed too). I also didn't know he paid for Carnera's hospital bills. By most accounts he seems to have been a very good man who cared about his family but for some reason the media likes throwing him under the bus (especially after the horrible portrayal in Cinderallaman which was a missed opportunity to correct the misconceptions about him). He should have been a major super star in the sport like Dempsey or Ali but tragedy got in the way.

As a side note, is that your voice in the video? It's awfully deep for an 18 year old :lol:

3. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    He refused to go all out anymore after knocking out Campbell, and if I'm not mistaken, donated a portion of his purse from every fight to the Campbell family.

4. JWSoats

JWSoats Active Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Excellent video!! Contained a lot of information I hadn't known before. The interview with Max Baer Jr. was interesting and insightful. My grandfather and uncle saw Max train in Lakewood, NJ. They said that he joked with the crowd a lot and made a lot of grunting noises as he worked with a large medicine ball. My uncle also saw him in San Francisco during WW2 when both were in the Army and Baer was entertaining the troops. The man was loaded with personality to go with his natural physical gifts. I think Baer gets dismissed too easily as a clownish figure with little skill but the Campbell tragedy puts Baer's life and career in a more proper perspective.

Thank you for putting this excellent video together and sharing it with us!

KletkoNetwork likes this.
  5. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Cool. Well done.

KletkoNetwork likes this.
  6. KletkoNetwork

KletkoNetwork I make YouTube videos. Full Member

Feb 17, 2021
    Yeah, there is a real tragedy at the heart of a guy who seems on the outside as a goofball, thank you so much for watching and sharing your uncle and grandfather's story!

JWSoats and swagdelfadeel like this.
  7. KletkoNetwork

KletkoNetwork I make YouTube videos. Full Member

Feb 17, 2021
    Thanks for watching man, I agree about him being a potential star, he had all the skills. And no that's not my voice haha, that's rick hendon, a voice actor on Fiverr, he did an amazing job.

JWSoats and swagdelfadeel like this.