Nick Blackwell update

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by bladesman, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    The people from the more privileged upbringings that you describe are not many, but an exception to the rule. However, if they're somewhere where access to drugs like heroin are easily accessible, then that's environmental isn't it?

You can have a privileged upbringing on paper, but there are still many factors which come together that pushes that person into the wrong crowd...

Is it a personal subject to you mate?

Some people make the wrong choices, some do it constantly and can barely help themselves. We can either help them or shun them from society and walk past them as they beg on the streets. I don't think the latter is the right thing to do.

bbjc likes this.
  2. CathyBarry

CathyBarry Active Member Full Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Exactly! There can be no sympathy for the sparring partner either then as I'm sure he was also forewarned regarding the dangers!

Stop trying to put all the blame on Nick you sick egotistical ****!

3. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Well if they give in to drugs simply due to them being easily accessible than I'd still argue that they are to blame.

There are many who grow up in neighbourhoods where there gang warfare is rife, yet they still manage to refrain from becoming a career criminals. Ultimately the responsibility lays at the door of the individual. No one forces them into making these decisions.

This is all nothing personal, I'm just dismayed at how many people are willing to excuse Blackwell of all blame as if the trainer and sparring partner put a gun to his head and forced him to fight.

The crux of that matter is that Blackwell was well advised by doctors, friends and family to not ever fight again and the would have known the serious nature of his injury. Yet he ignored it, thought he knew better and spat in the faces of those many who went without, just so they could help Blackwell in his time of need.

My thoughts are with the trainer and sparring partner who now have to feel and live with misplaced guilt knowing Blackwell may never be the same again because he selfishly swayed them into making a decision that would negatively effect his health.

4. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Not trying to create an excuse for everyone. You seem to think it's all catergorised into one thing. These things like addiction or doing stupid things all have multifaceted drivers.

Yes there are some people knowing all the dangers and coming from good stock that fall victim to addiction.

All I'm say is there are reasons for everything . And of course people need to take responsibility for their own actions but it's not as simple as that is it?

Back on Topic Nick has had his only love taken away from him and he was ignorant enough to think he could get away with it. Now he's paying. Do I feel any ill feeling? No not an ounce, he has suffered I'm sure.

I ride motorbikes, box, snowboard, do loads of other things that can kill me and if I die doing them then it's my fault. But least I died doing somethig I love. This is no different and I can sympathise

5. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Calm down child, we are having a discussion involving a sensitive subject, so please act civil.

The trainer and the sparring partner are victims, they are the ones that would have been approached. Or do you really believe they would have asked Blackwell if he fancied a little sparring session just for old times sake?

There is no doubt they would have tried to talk him out of it, yet Nick would have used his influence to coax them into allowing him to fight in their gym.

6. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I disagree with your point that he was 100% fit, he was not he had not long come out of a coma that could have cost him his life.

I understand it is very difficult to have your career ended, and you miss it very much BUT.

It ended for a reason, i also understand how much the guy misses and probably loves the sport, but for christ sake, shouldnt he be thinking i love life and everything in it more.

This was no mistake, this was down right ignorant and insulting to not only himself but his family,friends,fans and to the good people who fought very hard to keep this man alive already before.

I do not wish to insult you with my post Sir, but he did this knowing about poor Mike Towell, and still thought he was good to go.

If i was the surgeon, and i know this is going to sound harsh, i would not have even treated him.

He was lucky the first time, and TOLD it was over.

Why the hell would you put yourself at risk and ignore the advice.

7. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    No offence taken, no problem. all I can say is he probably felt fine and took a chance....awful business all round I know.

Twentyman likes this.