Nigel Benn & The Essex boys

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by jdempsey85, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Tancred

Tancred Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 2, 2014
  2. mithffg

mithffg Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2007
    You mug,you slag,you ponce,you pilchard,you c unt,you nonce....

3. ant-man

ant-man ant Full Member

May 13, 2009
    You forgot muppet.

4. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I know a guy well who seen Benn have a street fight with a known hardman when he was in his early 20s and from all accords Benn destroyed him, meant to be some street fighter in his day (cant say I am surprised)

5. troy

troy Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Benn was a well known street fighter around the Ilford area before he made his name in boxing

moog likes this.
  6. wayne189

wayne189 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 8, 2013
    A lot of good boxers especially brawlers learned to fight in the streets long before they boxed. They got skills honed in a boxing ring but still have that aggressive and win at all costs attitude. I always laugh when people say in a fight all a boxer will do is punch, chances are they were brought up using headbuts, eyed gouging hair pulling and any other so called dirty trick the add boxing to it

7. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    very believable, when u look at nige's style.

8. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Makes me laugh as well.. Froch is another example. Grew up around rough pubs in Nottingham getting into a few s****es as a young lad.

There's also famous stories about Sonny Liston. He was arrested something like 15-20 times, on one such occasion he apparently broke some armed coppers knee, took his gun off him and done him in.

9. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    my dad tells me that liston beat up 20 cops one time, dunno if that's an exaggeration. he mightbe thinking of one of them Bollywood movie fights.

10. ant-man

ant-man ant Full Member

May 13, 2009
    No that was uncle Albert from Only Fools and Horses. There was at least twenty of 'em...

11. BEATDOWNZ

BEATDOWNZ Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Nov 30, 2014
    :lol::lol:

During the war...

12. wayne189

wayne189 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 8, 2013
    :yep
    Lol good old only fools and horses

13. Sluggers tool

Sluggers tool New Member Full Member

Oct 23, 2022
    yes in terms of accuracy you are about right …… from what I know it was the death of Leah Betts which signed their death warrants …..don’t forget her old man was OB …..coupled with the fact that Tate was getting out of control and upset far too many people around Southend , it was only a matter of time from what I heard - eventually a deal was allegedly agreed between someone in the criminal fraternity and the OB as the film correctly implies. I actually knew Pat and Tony all I can say is I was saddened by Tony’s passing.

14. Sluggers tool

Sluggers tool New Member Full Member

Oct 23, 2022
    I actually knew Pat and Tony all I can say I that I was very saddened at Tony’s passing…..
    Pat had truly upset far too many people around the Southend area alone - I heard that Carlton warned Tony to keep away from Pat too like we all did back then - still I suppose the ‘mayhem’ had to come to an end one day ……. Pat once called me a boring old Cu** because he offered to buy me a pint and I replied …” No ta mate …” I’m going home now with Fish and Chips with the missus” . - he then told me to Fuc* off then “ ………as I said I was saddened at Tony’s passing ….I will leave it there for now.

15. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog The people doing the banning are idiots Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Interesting to hear. Tate was a bit of a legend with me and my mates about 15 years ago, or should I say Craig Fairbrass’ portrayal of him in Rise of the Footsoldier, so many hilarious moments.

Even more hilarious is that Fairbrass is still playing him with another movie coming out next year, despite the fact he’s 20 years older than Tate was when he was killed!

If you want to share any more stories about him please feel free.