Nigel Benn vs Tony Sibson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by JackSilver, Mar 22, 2019.

1. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Who wins this potentially explosive middleweight matchup?

2. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    I'll go against the grain and pick Sibson.

MURK20 and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  3. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Could definitely go either way, but I'd be ever so slightly more confident in picking Benn.

Reinhardt and George Crowcroft like this.
  4. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Big Nigel fan here. I think Sibo has gotten a bit overrated lately. I think Benn takes him

Reinhardt likes this.
  5. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I'll lean to Benn by ko in this one. This fight is most likely to end early. A fight that will be dictated by whom lands something serious 1st. Benn with his aggressiveness and power would probably land something serious 1st.

6. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    At 160, Sibbo in his pomp was more rounded. I would argue power aside, Benn was not world class until he stepped up to 168. And a fight at Super Middleweight with Benn at his power would be a step too far for Tony.

Holler, Mr Butt and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  7. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    At MW the Midlands slugger Sibson rugged power , speed and superior stamina
    outlasts Benn. Sibson pts.

8. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I have Benn smashing into Sibbo from the start and never letting up .Tony has brief moment s of success wobbling Benn but The Dark Destroyer is relentless .Sibson finally goes down in the seventh from one to many of Benn's wild rights .

Noel857 and BundiniBlack like this.
  9. BundiniBlack

BundiniBlack Well-Known Member Full Member

May 20, 2015
  10. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I’m not sure about this one.
    In fact I’m finding it virtually impossible to pick a winner.
    Both were ferocious operators with great power but Sibson was the better boxer and possessed a good jab and certainly against the middleweight Benn was a bit more measured.
    It would probably come down to who had the better chin but even that’s a close call, they both could be hurt and stopped.
    Benn’’s attacks could be devastating and carried a great intensity, but he would have to be very careful especially if he got too reckless because Sibson could take your head off with that left hook.
    I just think Sibson was a bit more solid and I’m also going against the grain and taking him to stop Benn some time after half way.

Holler likes this.
  11. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I thought Benn's best wins, apart from the McClellan win , were all at middleweight?

12. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Benn's best wins at 160 was an impressive one round win over Iran Barkley; but Barkley had real eye issues at the time. And he beat the tough but limited DeWitt. He had 'thrilling' fights at 160, but lost to the two best fighters he fought (Watson and Eubank) and as fun as it was, getting off the floor and beating Anthony Logan does not get you into the IBHOF! ;)

At 168 he beat McClellan, Galvano (twice; once in Italy) and drew with Eubank in a fight most think he deserved the nod. Also the next tier of fighters he beat: (an unbeaten) Wharton, Gimenez and Malinga all compare favourable with any win he had at 160.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    Holler likes this.
  13. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Sibbo was solid.

Benn was a major talent...

14. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    "The Nigel Benn who beat Doug DeWitt would've beaten any middleweight in the world. And I mean any middleweight, then, now or any time." - Emanuel Steward

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  15. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    I lean towards Benns go for broke style though Sibbo (one of my favorite fighters) was a better all around fighter and his power would catch Benn and may get a knockdown...I really like Benns resilience against some superior powerhouse fighters Tony had a tendency to box when he should have weaved his way in hooking like Frazier... his steamrolling John Collins was impressive...Tony was a fairly slick speedy fighter but we saw Benn get up and and like a terrier with the fight to the death type attitude

Cecil likes this.