Nkosinathi Joyi, any news?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Mar 7, 2021.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Anyone know anything about Joyi? His resurgence was one of favourite things about 2019, 2020 scuppered him though I guess - anyone know if he's retired, has anything planned, what's the story?

There was a paywall story from the other day saying he was going to be stripped if he didn't organise something but I only got the headline...other than that, total radio silence.

Wouldn't be that hard for him to get on an undercard somewhere surely?

He's still listed as champ on the IBO site.

2. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 31, 2016
    South African boxing as a whole has been AWOL since the pandemic. Moruti Mthalane was supposed to fight back in December, but the whole show was cancelled due organization issues. I wouldn't be surprised if Joyi called it quits because of frustration.

3. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Can't be that hard to hop on an undercard in London or Vegas though, they love that championship glitter can model him as a legend and that too.

He'll be 38 next time he's out though, maybe he just can't be ****ed with it all.

4. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 31, 2016
    And which promoter will get a washed up, 108 pound man to fight on their shows? Joyi is between a hard place and a rock. Most fighters from the strawweight division are from Mexico, Thailand, Japan and the Philippines and these guys can travel to SA because of restrictions. The best Joyi can hope for is to defend his title against some countryman of his like Simpiwe Khonco.

5. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Yeah, you could get him for 5k though. His highest purse is 25. That's a disgrace but he's definitely getable. Eddie's probably paying more for British title fights on the underacrd. "Two title fights on the undercard" and all that there.

I think it's doable.

6. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007