No Mike Tyson: What happens?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by TBooze, May 1, 2022.

1. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Yes, love him or hate him, the division would not have been so fun, but what would have happened?

For example: Do Dynamic Duo (Butch Lewis and Don King) still try and unify the titles?

Does Spinks keep his IBF title?

Who gets the Nov 86 date with Berbick?

Does Holyfield go for the belts earlier?

Who wins overall and who loses?

How does it affect the 90s?

2. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Oh jeez, who would be the stand out HW of the mid 80s without Tyson?

Michael Spinks, Champion

1. Mike Tyson
    2. James (Bonecrusher) Smith
    3. Pinklon Thomas
    4. Tim Witherspoon
    5. Tony Tubbs
    6. Trevor Berbick
    7. James (Buster) Douglas
    8. Tony Tucker
    9. Frank Bruno
    10. Tyrell Biggs
    Who beats Spinks? Does Spinks just bow out? I imagine Holmes might never come out of retirement too. Of the lot maybe BoneCrusher is the best of the lot? Err- Douglas or Tucker probably. Witherspoon at his best could mince the entire top 10 I think I'm not sure. It's actually a pretty fun question. Hmm. Oh, Tony Tubbs yep he's my pick.

cross_trainer, TBooze and Fogger like this.
  3. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    To be honest, we would be stuck with champions like Trevor Berbick, James Bone Crusher Smith. and Michael Spinks.

DanDaly likes this.
  4. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Hard to say.
    I think Bonecrusher could make another defense until he meets a Tony Tucker type fighter. On the other hand, he was terribly inconsistent.
    The same for Michael Spinks, he´d find onother lower class figter for a victory.
    What about Berbick? He went 10 rounds against a nobody and lost to Williams after Tyson.

It looks like all three of them were on a downward spiral due to age and injurys. Same with Thomas. Just a matter of time and they´d give up their belt. Holmes maybe never makes a comeback.

The upcoming challangers/champions look to be Tony Tucker, Buster Douglas and Carl Williams. But it also wouldn´t surprise me if Tubbs, Biggs or Bruno took a title in 1987/88/89.
    If Holyfield eventually came in a position for a belt earlier than 1990, its almost 100% sure he´d be champ too.

Its a mess to be honest.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    TBooze and ikrasevic like this.
  5. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Spinks doesn't drop out of the tournament so ends up meeting Tony Tucker in a unification fight.
    Tucker surprises Spinks by ko ing him in ten round.
    Tucker makes a couple of successful title defence s then loses to Carl Williams by split decision.
    William s loses by 7rnd ko to Holyfield.
    From there every thing is as it was.
    Till Frank Bruno beating McCall but loses it to Lennox Lewis in a rematch.

Holyfield regains his portion of the title from Bruce Sheldon.
    The only difference is, Holyfield never gets to have his ears bit.

TBooze likes this.
  6. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    No Tyson means Jose Ribalta would be in the hunt for crumbs, I could see him upsetting Berbick in late 86, while he was still sturdy. He may have enough to beat Bonecrusher in the period too. But with no Tyson as a potential reward, perhaps Tubbs shoulder holds up and he upsets an unmotivated Witherspoon in their originally scheduled rematch and thus Smith never gets his title win...

Turnip mk3 and Fergy like this.
  7. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Is Holyfield actually consistent enough, and superior enough to his peers, to unify?

8. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    No Tokyo-Douglas. Possibly no Bowe-Holyfield trilogy. Holyfield ‘s obsession with Tyson never manifests; almost anything could happen with him. Oscar rules the world.

heavyweight’s rule ends fifteen years earlier.

TBooze likes this.
  9. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Wow, does a. Vitali-Lewis rematch manifest?

Bokaj likes this.
  10. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Maybe Lewis retires after Rahman II.

11. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    There would probably have been some sort of unification tournament, before Holyfield challenged for the title.

cross_trainer likes this.
  12. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Oscar rules the world? By the time Oscar became P4P tops Tyson wasn`t even ranked P4P, during the mid 90`s, unless you`re just talking about PPV figures. Oscar and Tyson were only titlist at the time for a short period, Oscar was on the rise to the top while Tyson star was in decline.

13. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    King would have tried to freeze Holy out of tyhe heavyweight title picture until he signed options in order to get a title shot at one of King`s fighters.

TBooze and cross_trainer like this.
  14. DanDaly

DanDaly Active Member Full Member

Apr 28, 2020
    The only thing I can think of is that it would be a pretty inconsistent era without a single top dog. Holyfield wouldn't come up any earlier imo even with no Tyson his career would stay the same from the 80s through most of the 90s more or less.

TBooze likes this.
  15. Turnip mk3

Turnip mk3 Active Member Full Member

Feb 6, 2021
    Would be interesting. A mess but interesting. Maybe Holmes would come back ? Would Holy take over ?