Non-Greats Who Possesed Great Skill

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Russell, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Both Ismayl Sillakh and Rakhim Chakhkiev have great fundamentals and physical ability, yet one is as fragile as a leaf and the other is dumber than a rock.

2. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Great shout with Chakhkiev.

Everybody seems to agree with you on Sillakh, and certainly at one time agreed with excitement and anticipation. Never quite saw the extremes some claimed myself. He and Proksa among the biggest disappointing "Prospect of the Year" types in this decade... I say Proksa to point out my own fail there.

3. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    I would also like to shout out to my favourite fighter: Gabriel Rosado.
    He has had many on and off nights - but man can he fight! He is pretty slick for a guy with 10 defeats on his record.

Eel87, Vigilance777 and Kokiri like this.
  4. Kokiri

Kokiri Member Full Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Greats shouts here. One I would like to throw in here from a few years back is Tokunbo Olajide. He possessed wicked athletic ability, but had his career completely derailed by a loss to a then unknown Columbian banger Epifanio Mendoza, who stopped him inside a round.

It was a loss that he never recovered from and he retired following a second loss at the age of 28. Sad really.

5. jquest

jquest Active Member Full Member

Oct 30, 2014
  6. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Superb shout Gentlemen.

I remember the Julian Jackson fight vividly, awful, that genuinely upset me at the time.

7. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015

I'll save you the pain of uploading the clip then, but I remember the commentator shortly after that right hand landed.... 'oh no!'.

That's as knocked out as knocked out can be...

N17 likes this.
  8. Kokiri

Apr 15, 2016
    Yeah good shout. Quite a bizzare career he has had. Got a lot going for him skills wise and on top of that he is from Puerto Rico. Not exactly unpromotable material. But he just doesn't have the heart for it. He capitulated against Magdaleno and did a disappearing act.

9. Kokiri

Apr 15, 2016
    Bit controversial this I think Paulie Malignaggi deserves a shout. He has had to rely wholly on guile and skill to be successful owing to his lack of power. He has had a very good career if you ask me.

Sugar 88, lloydturnip and Jay1990 like this.
  10. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Yeah, to be fair is was an amazing KO all things considered, it was said Jackson was on the verge of being stopped due to eye swelling/injury and must of thought "I'm going out blasting" and went for it and Graham was spark out as soon as it landed but Graham was so close to fulfilling his dream and his potential it was painful to watch.

DoubleJab666 likes this.
  11. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Very good choice, I actually was gonna select him as well.

12. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    I have to mention Bep van klaveren !

13. woombox

woombox Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 29, 2009
    This will be an unpopular opinion and I must admit I really dislike the guy but Anthony Mundine had tremendous skill. If he had not played high level rugby league and had started his pro boxing career many years earlier, he may have gone a lot further than he did. Even so, he had a window after he beat Danny Green but wasted it.
    I think there is a guy currently fighting who is likely never to gain the recognition and achievements that his talent justifies and that is Sergey Derevyenchenko. He's getting older and he's very inactive, not to mention the guy he would have to beat to become champion. I also thought that guy from a few years back Raimkulov aka Kid Diamond should have gone far.

Eel87 likes this.
  14. Champagne Popping

Champagne Popping The TRUTH is the TRUTH banned Full Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Guillermo Rigondeaux
    Andre Dirrell
    Frankie Gavin

15. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    His skills were average. His Cat-like reflexes (natural talent) were above average and his only real asset.