Norris vs. Duran

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by laxpdx, Nov 2, 2007.

1. laxpdx

laxpdx Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2006
    This is one I would've liked to see, say 83 Duran meets 90-91 Norris.....

2. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    I don't know what others feel about Norris and Duran at 154lbs. This is a geniune 50/50 fight. I might need to come back later with my thoughts.

3. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006
    Norris was a fine fighter, but his signature victories came against a way faded SRL and Curry who was also long past his best (although vs Taylor was a very fine win). His performance against Mugabi was good, though I always thought "The Beast" was overhyped. Norris has enough power and was a good enough technician to keep things honest, but I think a prime Duran (despite fighting outside his absolute best weight category here) would be just too good for Norris and edges a decision. I wouldn't lay too much money on it, though.

Duran, by close UD.

4. brownpimp88

brownpimp88 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Duran is 5-3 at this weight and cuevas was past it and davey moore was just hype, terry norris would outbox duran.

5. Rubber Warrior

Rubber Warrior Resident ESB Soothsayer Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Duran can also be accused of Jekyll and Hyde showings but circa 1983, he was still more of a great than former great. Possessing hands of stone even at a higher weight and a semblance of the fire from his lightweight championship youth, this match-up would come down to Norris having to rise to the occasion and fighting the best fight of his career, a mobile, stick and move, Leonard rematch type of approach. Given his ability to box with marked precision and timing when in the correct state of mind, Norris could conceivably edge Duran on the cards provided he remain focused on the game plan every round. The big question is, would there be a point where Duran would rattle Norris?

6. Vantage_West

Vantage_West ヒップホップ·プロデューサー Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    for some reason i like norris's chances here. people remember him as an aggresive combo-puncher (which he was).but he was very sweet at what he could do. his abilty to jab and move and dodge and block is one of the finest if seen at light middlewieght at least.

duran at light middlewieght was defintaly a dangerous fighter. he is only 3 years out of his prime and at this time he still had his jab punch and chin (though he did get koed by hearns but still...he had a beard)

if duran (hyperthetically) won the lightwieght then moved to welter then moved to light middlewieght while still in some form of his prime.

i think the later duran has the chance to ko terry becuase even though terry could jab and move be defencive able to punch and be slick as hell he had a shaky chin....and just like duran he was koed by punchers...and duran can punch very hard

the chances of terry getting koed is about a 20% chance
    the chances of terry koing duran is under 5%

i think the chances are that duran has to outfight norris which is a exactly what he thrived on.

anyways this is more or less going the distance or goign to be stopped in durans favor.

boxing abilty
    duran could box well he had a high gaurd he would come in on his jab and could throw good hooks and a right hand. if duran is goign to do anything it's to jab and get in on terry is jab in ,flurry then clinch.

terry's main fighting style is to stay on the outside throwing jabs and picking his opponant off by countering and throwing a snappy right hand...then if he is hurt or he tries to fight you launch what norris was great at and thats multi combo's

his main tools are a jab, cross and lead left uppercut
    with some hooks for good measure if the going gets tough.

if duran tries to outbox him i thikn duran has more of a chance than trying to ko him with one punch or break him down by slugging it out becuase norris has got the faster hands and the slicker movements and can defintaly punch back if he needs to.

i think the main thing for duran is not trade but to outmuscle him and wear him down which roberto is keen to do.

so after all the babbling and little specifications.

terry wins first few rounds (dont know how many but around 4 to 6 wouldnt be too much) but it's a pyrrhic victory as duran is landing the inside combos slower but HARDER and just in overall being a nuisance to norris which is not going away. this is were durans pressure and toughness and body punches work better into the later rounds when norris cant run when hurt or fight back with as much flare, norris lose to a decision.

BUT

if this was the real duran that fought at lightmiddlewieght around mid 80's he is going to get shhhtumped by norris. norris is more liek zab judah great counterpuncher great handspeed but ill discipline and stamina issue's bring him back to reality.
    but in terry's prime i think he could stop duran and im not kiding or trying to put facts ahead of you to believe me i really believe that a prime terry norris could stop duran.

thats my 2 dollars:D

7. Vantage_West

Jul 11, 2006
    well this is it you either get stuck with durans abilty to not lose his fire and performance,but he can be outboxed and outgunned in some cases he can look and easy target sometime and even though he has a granite jaw he has been rocked and hurt and koed.

or you go to natural top level abilty handspeed combo's footwork, but ill discipline and abilty to not stick to the rules or a game plan can get norris in alot of trouble

8. Rubber Warrior

Rubber Warrior Resident ESB Soothsayer Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I'm not crystal on what you stated, but, I'd bet the boxing variant of Norris would be able to shut Duran down provided focus was in place.

9. Vantage_West

Jul 11, 2006
    :lol: sorry man i useually mispell right long lengthy lectures about nothing and just say anything at all just to get my point across.

yeah i think norris has the abilty to box and move against a slower duran.
    it's the boxer or the puncher theory you cn choose one or the other but both have a foil over the other. durans power over norris's chin norris handspeed and movment over a slower(in the higher wieght at least) older roberto etc

10. joe the great

joe the great Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Norris chin was unpredictable but I still like Norris in this one on points. I think he was better at 154 than Duran.

11. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    This is a tough one for Duran, at 154 speed and movement were his nemesis and Norris has speed and snap in droves. I don't think Duran is a big enough one shot banger to take advantage of the suspect Norris jaw at this weight. Norris also has plenty of sting behind his punches. Taking the superb Duran from the Moore fight i see Norris being one step ahead most of the time and not actually getting hit that often due to his tremendous handspeed. Norris is a class or threee above Moore. I just don't think Roberto could rap him often enough. You can't count the inspired Duran (of the Moore fight) out tho, he was in great shape and totally focused on winning. I just think the styles give Terry a significant advantage.

12. Vantage_West

Jul 11, 2006
    oh definatly but it's weather duran nearer his prime can take him out if this was around the early 80's maybe late 70's duran fightign at light middlewieght then i would give him a big chance.

i feel terry outopints him

13. Arminius

Arminius Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2006
    It depends on which Duran showed up. The one that destroyed Cuevas and Moore would also destroy Norris. The one that showed up for Kirkland Lang would lose by a close decision.

14. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Both fighters have had that "going to sleep" look as they headed to the canvas.......Duran via Hearns and Norris via Jackson.

Interesting that both K.O.'s came at the weight ...Jr. Middleweight.

A vicious Duran TKO's Norris, otherwise Robero loses by decision to Terry.

15. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    This is a very interesting match up. I think it would depend on how Norris wanted to fight...Taking the Duran from the Moore fight...If Norris stood toe to toe with Duran...(which he was apt to do in alot of his fights)The Panamanian's body punching just might catch up to Norris in a brutal contest. If Norris elects to box, Duran won't have a chance at junior middle....Norris had great speed. I think it's a little of both.....Norris tries the inside, and then starts boxing after it gets rough
    Norris UD12