Norton vs Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by hookfromhell, Aug 10, 2013.

1. hookfromhell

hookfromhell Well-Known Member Full Member

May 5, 2011
    Don't recall seeing this fantasy fight on here. I know its impossible for Futch to be in both corners, but this is a fantasy match. So what do you think?
    Can Norton out box Frazier and use the jab effectively, does Frazier have the power to stop Norton? I believe so. I got Frazier KO 13. Thoughts?
    Prime for Prime 15 rounds.:tong

2. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I recall Eddie Futch talking about sparring the two did and how Joe put Ken down with a right to the body. Eddie also said in the article that Ken learned a little what it like to be in with a real heavyweight champ from the sessions.

If Ken couldn't keep Joe away with his left hand he would have got mauled in close, Ken wouldn't have been able to keep Joe away.

3. grumpy

grumpy Member Full Member

Nov 5, 2006
    I gotta go with Frazier on this one.

4. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Prime Frazier kos prime Norton every time. Norton could not fight backing up and Joe is going to back him up. Back up to the ropes where Joe knocks him out more than likely within 7 rounds.

5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I think its a tough fight.

Joe was a good puncher but he didnt have atomic power like Cooney, Shavers and Foreman. Frazier did have an effective style vs boxers. He had that busy workrate and precise infighting skills.

Kenny was big and strong and he had that quick strong jab. His defense was effective against righthand punches. He leaned away. Not sure how his D would look against Frazier`s hooks.

My prediction is Joe Frazier wears Kenny Norton down and stops him in 9.

6. gentleman jim

gentleman jim gentleman jim Full Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Gotta go with Frazier. He would be in Kenny's face all night and Noron didn't fight well going backwards. Plus Joe would be able to slip many of Norton's punches while landing his own. Norton's hands weren't as fast as Ali's and Joe was able to slip Ali's punches in the FOTC. It would be a good fight for as long as it lasts but I think Joe would either pound his way to a decision or stop Kenny late.

7. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Frazier in 4-6 rounds.

8. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Frazier KO in 7. Norton didn't l have ability have the pop or the durability to hang with the big banger of the 70's.

9. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Thats it in a nutshell nighttrain.

10. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I don't see Norton lasting more than 5 rounds with a 68 Frazier...I would take Joe in 3 rounds as my official pick.

11. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Frazier in seven or eight. Once he pressures Ken backwards it's merely a matter of time.

12. Ipay4leavingNot

Ipay4leavingNot Active Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Frazier trained Norton for the Ali fights, he made good money off it. Norton copied his style, I know this because Joe told me so, and going back to the tapes it was obvious the way Norton as crossing his right hand over his body just like frazier did, his guard was identical for the fights with ali but different until that point. Frazier was the master, Norton the student. Frazier would have came out slow, worn him down for 5 rounds and beat him to death for the remaining 10. Unless you have overwhelming power of Foreman or your last name is Ali, forget about beating smoking Joe. You are talking about the man who came closest to beating a prime Ali and knocked him down several times.

13. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Joe would beat Kenny in seven rounds, he would just wear him down.

14. leverage

leverage Active Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2006
    "smokin Joe" makes mince meat out of norton, savagely mauling him to pieces inside of 10 rounds.

15. Hookie

Hookie Affeldt... Referee, Judge, and Timekeeper Full Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Read both men's autobiographies, got Norton's signed... sometimes Frazier got the best of Norton and sometimes Norton got the best of Frazier in the gym. Norton got the best of Ali in a sparring session in California prior to their first fight. It is what it is. In a real boxing match Id favor Frazier but it wouldnt be easy. They knew each other well so no surprises and no intimidation in this one.