Not confident on Ruiz jr

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by JDub, Sep 12, 2019.

1. TEAM_LOMA

TEAM_LOMA This is Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2019
    AJ is shook. AJ has not mentally recovered and won't be heavyweight champ ever again. Ruiz has his number.

2. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Some people never learn.

Ruiz will KO him even quicker this time around.

3. Kiwi_in_America

Kiwi_in_America The Tuaminator Full Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Is it possible to stick and run all night? Yes. AJ did this with Parker quite a lot.

Do I think he can avoid Ruiz the whole fight? Nope.

4. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Too many question marks for AJ.
    The bigger man got backed up all night. Didn't look right. He nor his corner could see Ruiz Jr. landed when he looped his shots, or overhands?

Each knockdown was preceded by combinations that were looping shots IMO, next to nothing inside. Yes Ruiz has fast hands, but seem overly predictable.If AJ can put on some ear muffs (keep that guard almost Winky/Ike Quartey style), Ruiz lands very few shots. But is that something that can be learned or incorporated into AJ's defense?
    He's not Tyson fast, upstairs downstairs, hook to the body, followed by an uppercut upstairs (mixing it up) When Ruiz landed combos they were lunging shots that looped , again AJ team couldn't adjust.

Ruiz gets beats probably by Fury or Wilder, but AJ had too many openings he couldn't take advantage of, let alone a looping lunging fat chaloopa who backed him up as if AJ was a toddler with no power, size or height.

5. don owens

don owens Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 5, 2005
    Ruiz is going to...............WHIP THAT ASS!

6. bruce_keyes

bruce_keyes Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2008
    nah, I actually think that AJ is having his 5 mins of fame. his career is actually gonna turn out like audley harrison. look at Audley's career after he took his first KO loss... everything went down hill.... he was exposed. Same with David Price.

7. JDub

JDub Active Member Full Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Well I guess we’ll find out soon. One loss can easily be recovered from when you consider he’s still a relative novice with 22 pro fights or something, but a second loss, and I’d tend to agree with you. The fraud claims would defo carry weight.

8. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    He won't need to stick and run all night. He just needs to not engage with Ruiz and keep things long. He has the power to keep Ruiz honest with his jab and stop him from getting too confident, after which the fight is very much his to lose.

9. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Joshua has already achieved way more than either Audley or Price, and been hurt and tested a lot more too. Price was never seriously hurt until the Thompson fight, and he couldn't recover. Same with Audley I believe.

I used to believe AJ was a hypejob, but hypejobs don't get wins against Wlad, Parker, and Povetkin. Whatever he does from here on out he's done more than enough to shake off that unfair label.

Doppleganger and Wizbit1013 like this.
  10. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Joshua was done after the discombobulating shot from Ruiz. Ruiz needs to land that shot again to win or the judges will hand it to AJ. Joshua will be extremely cautious and force fatboy to make the fight. This will be a very different fight but Ruiz needs to finish it because the judges will be Adelaide Byrd style.

11. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Let me rephrase this question: if this ends up as a boring jab fest who is going to get the decision. Be realistic.

12. JDub

JDub Active Member Full Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Yep. Unless it’s screamingly obviously one sided in Ruiz’s favour you would imagine Joshua will get the nod.

13. 3rdegree

3rdegree Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 23, 2014
    AJ wasn't able to keep his eyes open when Ruiz threw combinations. His squinting in anticipation of punches essentially left him blind to rapid-fire striking. Ruiz made AJ overly concerned about getting hit. It was probably the most by far AJ has ever been hit to the head in one fight, and I can't see him reacting to Ruiz's attacks any differently in the rematch.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  14. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Any idea who AJ and Ruiz are sparring in preparation for this fight?

15. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I think AJ will learn and grow mentally stronger from that crushing defeat and show a better version of himself in the rematch. If he gets knocked out again it will seriously derail his career long-term.