Now that Castillo is done, where does he rank?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by sweet_scientist, Jun 24, 2007.

1. sweet_scientist

sweet_scientist Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 8, 2004
    This is pretty much the end for Jose Luis Castillo. He'll probably continue fighting for the money but I don't see him ever beating anyone of note again.

Assuming there's not another chapter to write in his book, where will he be placed?

I know he probably doesn't have an all time p4p standing, but let's talk lightweights. How good of a lightweight was he? Does he crack top 20, 30, 40, 50, not even, amongst the lightweights?

2. grumpy

grumpy Member Full Member

Nov 5, 2006
    good question, it's kind of like ranking dwight muhammad quai.

3. Sizzle

Sizzle Active Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Personally, I rank him ahead of Corrales.

I think he was a great lightweight, and had I been in charge of the "Chico" matchup I'd have stopped it earlier - But full credit to Corrales for showing the heart of a warrior and winning the bout.

Realistically, the only fighter he failed to beat in his prime (at lightweight) was Mayweather - I don't buy the business that he won the first fight, but he did trouble him. He has wins over Corrales (tainted admittedly), Diaz, Casamayor, Lazcano, Johnston among other credible competitors, and aside from Mayweather is the greatest lightweight of his time, in my opinion anyway.

His fight with Hatton at 140lbs aside, he's never been blown away in a matchup, I think he deserves to be remembered as a top20 lightweight.

4. jyuza

jyuza Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Pretty hard to rank him.

I think he deserved the first Mayweather fight but definitely lost the second one. He beat Corrales, Casamayor, Diaz... ain't that bad when we look at it.

Lightweight division is probably the most skilled division so far (IMO), welterweight comes after. So right now I would say he is top 30/35. I need to look after it.

5. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Top 30 for sure at the moment. Let's let things simmer for a while.

Corrales, Casamayor and Mayweather are quality fighters. Johnston, Bazan, Lazcano, Diaz are also good to excellent fighters.

I have him as technically undefeated at 135. I've got him 1-1 with Floyd and Corrales.

I think he is a quality fighter and part of a tremendous era. Mayweather, Corrales, Freitas, Casamayor and Castillo were a classy little fivesome. They all lost and beat each other. Freitas has broken away in that sense but it appears Diaz could do some big things for that to eventually not matter.

Many of the guys he beat are still making noise. Casa is the best 135 pound fighter in the world, Diaz beat a quality Chavez and Mayweather continues to add to his greatness.

6. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    Yeah, it's no shame if when all is said and done he ranks top 30. At 135 that is a very impressive feat.

7. dmt

dmt Hardest hitting hw ever Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    good post, Personally i'd have him somewhere in the top 20 lightweights atg

8. Mantequilla

Mantequilla Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Very solid workmanlike fighter that has been one of the best fighters in the division for years without ever really looking a great imo.

He arguably didn't deserve the decision against Johnston in either fight and that hurts him as Stevie is the best fighter he fought other than Mayweather.

Wouldn't be out of place between 25 to 30 i suppose if you happen to think highly of him.Also wouldn't be a disgrace to leave him out entirely of a top 35.

Lightweight really is deep.Castillo was a very good fighter...there have been a great many of those in the division.

9. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    I have to disagree. He sure looked great v Mayweather and Corrales.

Johnston is not better, at least on paper, than Corrales or Casamayor.

10. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    He could end up that high. It's nice to see he is getting credit.

I hate it when old school/ quality fighters in the modern era don't get credit.

I accept the classics sections opinions on things. The GF disgusts me.

11. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    I rank him about the top 40 perhaps. No less than 51. As said before the lightweights is pretty deep. I belive 20 is a bit high.

12. Mantequilla

Mantequilla Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    I think he was certainly better than Corrales(not a big fan of Chico) and Casamayor was past his prime and very small compared to Castillo, who didn't look too good in taht fight.

13. Bad_Intentions

Bad_Intentions Boxing Addict Full Member

May 15, 2007
  14. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    I think history will be kind to Castillo. He won some big fights in his time. But I think he will not be as much concerned about his place in Boxing Championship History, as much as in Mexican Champion history. But for now he will be remembered as the only man to defeat F. Mayweather. (And he Did).

15. Jbuz

Jbuz Belt folder Full Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Gotta wait a few years to see what his opponents do.