Nutrition for boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by RDJ, Aug 14, 2009.

1. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Brought to you by the Nutrition Nazi, me. This is a work in progress, I intend to keep it a simple set of rules. Please add any criticism / additions in the comments, I will edit them in as good as possible. I also accidentally deleted the recipes thread, so those are welcome here as well as long as they don't conflict with the Nutrition Nazi Rules :D

General nutrition rules:

- Drink water throughout the day. Dehydration can hamper performance in a major way. A glass of water should be taken at every meal.
    - Frequent meals, six to eight times a day. This keeps metabolism high, and makes sure you have plenty of energy and nutrients for both activities and recovery throughout the day.
    - The primary goal of nutrition is maximizing health and performance. Depending on your secondary goal, the amount of calories varies, diet itself does not. If you want to lose weight take smaller portions, if you want to gain weight do the opposite. The rules of diet do not change, only the amount of food taken in (and of course your workout regimen).
    - Whole natural foods, rich in the nutrients that processing tends to destroy. Anything that contains sugars for example should contain the vitamins and minerals that are supposed to accompany those sugars. This means no fizzy drinks and other empty sugar sources, select your food by nutrient density.
    - Every meal should consist of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. Diets that avoid either one of these things will have a negative effect on performance and your general health.
    - Most of your carbohydrate intake should come from fruits, vegetables or at worst whole multi grain bread.
    - Variation, don't eat the same food every day.
    - There's no such thing as patented food. Natural food can not be patented.
    - Buy your food fresh if possible, preservatives can be unhealthy. It's not always feasible, but worth keeping it in mind. Frozen, if done rapidly, also preserves many nutrients.
    - If you want to lose weight your calorie expenditure should exceed your intake. There's no magic involved. Stored fat needs to be used for energy and energy will not be generated if there is no activity. Any supplement that promises magic weight loss without workouts is a scam. The Hydroxicut disaster should serve as a lesson.

Easy diet fixes:
    - Vegetable soup with meat balls. Provides quality protein and animal fats through meat. Nutritional value is very high because of the different vegetables used. Adding garlic, onion, etc. will increase the nutritional value even more. Frozen vegetables are cheap and rich in nutrients.
    - Herbal teas. An easy way to take in vitamins and other phytochemicals (like anti-oxidants for example) you would not get from many other food sources. Green teas, herbs like ginseng, nettle, mint, the possibilities are endless.
    - Smoothies. Many people find it hard to eat large amounts of fruits, but not so with smoothies. Yogurt and quark provide the fats and proteins, fruit takes care of the rest. Add flaxseed to make it even better.
    - Salads. Raw vegetables with all the nutrients still in it. Add some eggs, dressing or home made mayonnaise, pieces of apple, pine seeds, etc.
    - Trail mix. Mixed nuts and dried fruits like raisins, cranberries or goji berries. Easy for when you're commuting or just a quick snack during work hours.

An example day:

Meal 1: Home made smoothie (banana, raspberry, strawberry, peach, orange juice, yogurt, grounded flax seeds, cinnamon), a multi vitamin and glucosamine.
    Meal 2: Whole multi grain sandwiches with butter and cheese, and unpasteurized (raw) milk.
    Meal 3: Potatoes, vegetable soup (carrot, cauliflower, broccoli, leek, chives, celery, garlic, union, etc) with meat balls and chicken and buttermilk.
    Meal 4: Same as meal 1, home made smoothie.
    Meal 5: More of the soup from meal 3, a peanut butter sandwich and glucosamine.
    Meal 6: Salmon and peas.

This is a completely random example, you can swap meals, use different veggies, eat a nice dish instead of soup, whatever you want as long as you follow the rules. Between meals drink water and / or tea.

Shahpoor Saiq likes this.
  2. Bodi

Bodi Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 25, 2009
    This is going to be a very interesting thread, i'll be keeping a close eye...

A contribution from me, one of my favorites - Leek and potato soup

dash of olive oil
    1 garlic clove
    2 potato's
    2 good sized leeks
    1 litre of chicken broth
    pinch of sea salt
    pinch of black pepper
    parsley

Clean the leeks in water and chop into small pieces (slice long ways twice and dice from top to bottom). Add the olive oil, leeks and garlic to pan on a low heat, cook until the leeks are soft (10 -15 minutes), stir regularly. Peel and chop the spuds into small cubes whilst the leeks are cooking. Once the leeks are done, add the rest of the ingredients to the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Once cooked, mash the soup or put it in the blender to thicken it up. Serve, add a sprig of parsley and enjoy!

3. LJB

LJB Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2009
    I rekon there to much bread in there my self, I have a rule no carbs after 2 o'clock

4. Goose

Goose Russian oligarch Full Member

Mar 2, 2005
    I eat alot of plain rotisserie meat to get my protein, carbohydrates come with rice.
    I can't eat pasta because its made out of wheat, which my stomach can't process.

RDJ, you said not to eat same meal every day. I get a few rotisserie chickens for the week and cook up a large pot of rice, sometimes also a pot of beans as well. I eat it for breakfast, coupled with fruit and berries. Same thing for lunch, coupled with some peanut butter to get more protein and fats. Snacking is all fruits, berries, peanuts, almonds etc, then dinner is the same thing but a smaller portion. Once during the middle of the week ill bake a piece of fish to get some variety., but its mostly chicken or turkey otherwise. During the week I have one or two cheat days where I go to a spanish restaurant where ill get a steak with mashed potatoes or something like that.

I can't eat eggs, wheat, or milk because my stomach cant process it. So due to this fact, variety in my meals is limited. But it has been working for me.

5. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    I second that question.

6. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    If you can't have certain things it limits your choice, you work with what's given to you. Just out of curiosity, why can't your stomach process these things?

7. 'Ben'

'Ben' Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Sounds like the best way to stay it, nutrition wise to me. I pretty much agree with everything you just wrote.... not that I'm a qualified expert or anything but from my experience eating lots of small meals a day and not neglecting carbs or protien works best for me.:good

8. LJB

LJB Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Well carbs only start giving you energy 4 hours after you eat them, so I train at around 6 and then if you eat any carbs later your not going to use them meaning they will turn into fat.

9. SouthpawSlayer

SouthpawSlayer Im coming for you Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    eh both of those statements are incorrect mate

10. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Sometimes you don't even know where to start.

11. SouthpawSlayer

SouthpawSlayer Im coming for you Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    sometimes you are better off just saying nothing at all, i heard yesterday how this guys muscle turned to fat after 3 months of inactivity and i just said yeah thats terrible when that happens

12. LJB

LJB Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Well that's how my diet looks it may vary for different boxers, but I trust what I've been told and that it works for me and Its just my opinion

13. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Opinions do not matter much when it comes to facts. The truth is a bit more complicated than what you stated. How long carbs take to pass through your system depends on many things. For example, how much is already stored in your muscle. What are your blood sugar levels. Does the liver contain any fructose, in other words is there any room for more. How much food is waiting for digestion in your stomach. What kind of sugars are we talking about. What was eaten alongside the sugars. And then some.

14. LJB

LJB Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Cheers for making it clearer, but for a basic diet without going in depth like blood suger levels, fructose etc surley my diet is correct In a way? If your trying to lose weight surley carb intake at times when your not going to burn it is a bad idea ? Correct me if I'm wrong which I'm sure someone will as I'm sure I don't have a greater knowlodge as some :p

15. Goose

Goose Russian oligarch Full Member

Mar 2, 2005

Too much alcohol ****ed it up, I got an ulcer and gastritis from it....from there it all went down hill