NY Times article after the Ali vs Evangelista fight

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by DavidC77, Mar 23, 2024.

1. ThatOne

ThatOne Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2022
    Hip punching and kidney punching are illegal. The latter is also dangerous yet we never hear about boxers being kicked out of the ring for those "tactics".

Bokaj likes this.
  2. Ney

Ney Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 13, 2024
    Nor do we hear that Ali should be for his.

3. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I see a lot of ‘should have been DQ’d’ rule sticklers for ‘holding’ (when most clinches involve both guys and are not outright grappling style holding) — I just don’t understand why people who want to see boxing officiated that way don’t gravitate to amateur boxing.

In amateurs they give warnings for anything and everything and interrupt the flow of the fight all the time and DQ people for minor offenses … you think people rooting for this way of doing things would be overjoyed that there’s a level of boxing handled this way, but for some reason they don’t take to it.

Disqualifying a boxer should be done for egregious and malicious and purposeful repeated illegal action. Not because someone initiates a clinch and releases when the ref tells them to do so.

Paying customers and people who watch on TV or shell out for PPVs don’t want to see the fights end before they even start.

newurban99 and ThatOne like this.
  4. ThatOne

Jan 13, 2022
    Like continually hitting somebody in the hips because you can't t penetrate their low guard? Big George gets a lot of grief for pushing but he wasn't a hip puncher. He tried to penetrate Ali's low guard the right way in Zaire.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  5. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    Everyone was stealing from him. In his book, Holmes wrote about the abuses he saw of Ali's money while working for him. Ali had set up an account at the local grocery store for the guys in his camp to use to buy whatever groceries/incidentals they needed. Holmes saw the guys going in there and buying huge amounts of groceries and household supplies to give to their girlfriends, friends, etc., on Ali's account.

newurban99, Kid Bacon and KidGalahad like this.
  6. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    And then the judges would have awarded it to Ali anyway. They weren't letting some surly no-name peanut-head have the title.

7. ThatOne

Jan 13, 2022
    I don't think he cared about money. He brought his brother a home every time he got married and I believe he was married several times.

Kid Bacon and Saintpat like this.
  8. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Other than Manila this can be said to varying degrees about Ali’s entire second reign .. after the huge Foreman upset you’d imagine he’d have been thrilled to have regained his title but he really didn’t want to make the needed sacrifices and age then began to catch up. He beat some good names in Bugner, Frazier, Lyle and Shavers, got gifts vs Norton and Young , slaughtered lamps like Cooperman ans Dunn but as a whole he undertrained constantly and underperformed, kinda coasted through most of it

Kid Bacon likes this.
  9. Niels Probst

Niels Probst Member banned Full Member

Dec 9, 2023
    I agree. Ali is viewed as a semi god, but how 'great' is a person, who spends 50 % of his life as a zombie due to accumulated blows to the head?

Kid Bacon likes this.
  10. Kid Bacon

Kid Bacon All-Time-Fat Full Member

Nov 8, 2011
    So disgusting.
    And you can bet some of those guys were reselling those goods for extra money.
    Leeches, just leeches sucking Ali dry.

11. Ney

Feb 13, 2024
    He still had a “first three-time Champion at Heavyweight” scenario to rig.

Pugguy likes this.
  12. Ney

Feb 13, 2024
    I am more critical of Ali both as a man & Boxer than many, but I’ll admit, this was not pretty reading.

“There’s no wrong way to do right, & no right way to do wrong.” - Joe Frazier

KO KIDD, steve21 and Pugguy like this.
  13. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I really wish Muhammad Ali had managed his money better and retired a lot sooner than he did. If his cognitive health had stayed in tact he might have had an excellent career after boxing as a commentator or actor. He certainly had the charismatic personality for it

Pugguy and ThatOne like this.
  14. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    :lol:

15. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Yeah, Holmes was the absolute antithesis to Ali in regards to money management - and good on Larry for that.

There are some that might not like Holmes in terms of persona, but to that, we know Larry would just say “You can kiss my big, black, rich ***!” Lol.

mr. magoo likes this.