Obscure Sullivan Photos

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Seamus, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I thought I had seen most of the Sullivan photos available but then this one popped up, claiming to be John L as a youngster playing basketball. I don't recall ever seeing it tho maybe it is tucked away in Pollack's books or John L Sullivan's America. Any others to add?

http://static.newworldencyclopedia.org/2/23/Sullivan-JL-young.jpg

2. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    I don't think basketball existed until the 1890's is it possible this is not JLS or are they playing a different game with a similar ball?

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007

Not him.

The game of basketball as it is known today was created by Dr. James Naismith in December 1891 in Springfield, Massachusetts, to condition young athletes during cold months. It consisted of peach baskets and a soccer style ball. He published 13 rules for the new game. - Wikipedia

4. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I checked this thread to find obscure Obed Sullivan's photos...

Seamus and robert ungurean like this.
  5. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    It does say as it is known today, which seems like a pretty major caveat to not elaborate. So maybe he was playing some predecessor

It does look like him to me. But I'm not convinced it is, needs some better verification.

6. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    You are right but reading the whole story makes it sound like it only existed because of the weather in Canada and the basket idea came from him.....funny I always thought basketball was an American game invention like Baseball the name on the photo does say John L Sullivan but one thing about names in that era was it would not be unusual for people to be named after great Americans like Presidents, military, sports heros, leaders in general I have 2 relatives born during that era one was name George Washington plus the family name and the other named after Abraham Lincoln plus family name

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  7. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    I checked this thread to see obscene Maureen O'Sullivan photos.

8. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Maybe Johnny Weismuller has them?

The Senator and FrankinDallas like this.
  9. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Here is a porky John L flooring super middle Dominick McCaffrey.

This content is protected

The Senator and choklab like this.
  10. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    great photo!

11. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Although it certainly looks like a young Sullivan, I very seriously doubt it's him. The muscular lad in that photo looks to be about sixteen years old, which, if it's Sullivan, would mean that it was taken around 1874.

That photo was not taken anywhere near 1874.

The shoes and other athletic wear look to me be from a much later time (maybe about 1915-20?) and moreover the two seem to be standing under electric lighting. Though of course the first practical light bulb was perfected in 1876, incandescent lighting remained rare and expensive for quite some time, so electric light in a Boston high school gymnasium or athletic club in ~1876-80 is about as improbable as a VCR in a middle class home in the early 1970's. I suppose it could be arclight or gas lighting, but my gut says no. (And I think arclight was only ever used en masse for street illumination).

It also kind of looks like Jim Thorpe, but it's not him either.

Seamus likes this.
  12. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    An Adonis shaming subsequent generations of manhood.