Okolie

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, May 10, 2019.

1. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    has now moved full time over to Shane McGuigan.

At least he’s trying to be better! Not sure it will work mind..,

Inglis_1 likes this.
  2. KingKO

KingKO El Terrible Full Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Odd decision for both.

3. mstar

mstar Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Any reason why? Maybe becuase Barry was not UK based? But then a strange choice in the first place and now goes to shane. weird.

4. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    I’ve always liked Okolie’s attitude. He’s open about his shortcomings and expresses eagerness to improve.

I think Shane will help him clean up his work and become more balanced.

It’s a Good decision.

5. BXNG101

BXNG101 Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Two tits working with each other. Nice.

Potwash likes this.
  6. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    He's hiding massive porcelain, he's getting sparked out when he steps up to world level. Quote this then.

7. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    This won't end well.

cam2010 likes this.
  8. Blue Manc

Blue Manc Member Full Member

Apr 6, 2018
    Won't last long

cam2010 likes this.
  9. Blue Manc

Blue Manc Member Full Member

Apr 6, 2018
    Shane has proved to be an unlikible trainer,good but smug. Okilie is awefull. You can't polish a turd

cam2010 likes this.
  10. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Okolie has that killer instinct and will to win. Respect for that.

What he doesn’t have is any inside boxing skills. It’s a certainty that he gets sparked at European level even if he has careful matchmaking and a brown envelope referee. Simply because your answer to being on the inside cannot be holding every time because that is an illegal move. He should have DQd vs Matty Askins 100%

Furthermore once you go up in class the better fighters know how to stop you from wanting to hold on the inside, thereby leaving you wide open and defenceless on the insid

A fighter with 20% of Evander Holyfields inside skills would play basketball with a Okolie on the canvas

11. BaileyBlack

BaileyBlack New Member banned Full Member

May 31, 2018
    I think the hate for Okolie verges on the irrational.

Hi strengths are that he is big, long, hits hard and has heart and desire.

His weaknesses are that he is awkward, has no inside game and clinches excessively when up close.

His personality also rubs some people up the wrong way but if that was an issue, 90% of all boxers would have problems as having an incredible degree of self belief and confidence is essential to any successful fighter.

I would bet on Okolie being a world champ more than any other British prospect outside Buatsi.

Also, all the knights who are out there killing Okolie about the Askin fight should look at it once more, Askin initiated more of the clinching than Okolie.

fcb1068, Holler and Clarence Gianni like this.
  12. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    I think Okolie would be better off operating at British level for the time being, maybe even trying to win the British title outright before moving up. He needs to be advanced slowly.

13. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Agree with this he’s only 26 and 12 fights in.

Would take another 5 or 6 British/ euro level learning fights then step up in a couple of years. No point in rushing.

Holler likes this.
  14. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Yeah you're basically setting him up to fail if he gets pushed beyond regional level at this stage. There was talk of him fighting an old Lebedev but even an old Lebedev beats him easy if the ref doesn't allow Okolie to fall asleep on him.

15. jm2729v

jm2729v Active Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Sorry Okolie has had too many consecutive stinkers for me. That style should not headline Saturday night fight nights let alone be a future PPV headliner. He really needs to earn back the viewers confidence in him.

Also I say this time and time again; boxing fans are the most forgiving, gullible and naive fans of any sport. We literally accept rubbish fights with the promise of better fights down the line, which often never materialise. Don't feel compelled to be amazed by Okolie, it's his job to convince us he's good.

Clarence Gianni likes this.