Old Film Footage, sometimes they get it right...

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by thistle1, Apr 13, 2011.

1. thistle1

thistle1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 30, 2006
    http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=6453

sometimes it's filmed proper, and they get it right - now tell me these little greats aren't as good or hard as fighters in modern times.

I say fight like that every other week, which they did, and you'll soon know whos harder!!!

2. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    that is really amazing

There are a few rare instances where for one reason or another, the footage of an old fight looks really good. This is one of them.

And every time I see this, it always amazes me how much better the fighters look, when properly filmed.

3. Vic-JofreBRASIL

Vic-JofreBRASIL having fun Full Member

Aug 19, 2010
  4. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    How is this possible ? Jabs and combination punching did not did exist back then . If announcers covering a fight from 1935 are not commenting on the unusual styles displayed maybe this is not something new for the time ... interesting .. thought they all stood with their fists curved, wrists facing their faces as they telegraphed wild , one punch round houses ...

5. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Psh! Boston Tom's one-punch combination was all he ever needed!

6. DaveK

DaveK Vicious & Malicious Full Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Good stuff-

What struck me is the ref... The guy is getting hammered in the corner repeatedly with hard, flush rights and the ref is bent over trying to ascertain if the fighter can properly defend himself or if he's actually dead yet...

7. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Rez, take my word the boxers of my youth fought and punched the same way as the pampered fighters today. And I can assure you that the boxers of my dad's youth [1915 or so,] moved and hit, and by the way, WALKED, the way they do today...The only major difference was they did fight a helluva lot more often...And remember the old adage "Practice makes perfect "!
    Take care REZ.

8. thistle1

Jul 30, 2006

yes Mr. Bienstock, as I said earlier - I say fight like that every other week, which they did, and you'll soon know whos harder!!!

No Doubt in my mind, with this kinda a regime many of todays hero's might have been sent to bed early along the way too. 15, 20 years, 200 fights and beyond careers!

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  9. TheGreatA

TheGreatA Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Watch Panama Al Brown tool Johnny King and you'll be even more amazed.

This content is protected

10. thistle1

Jul 30, 2006
    FANTASTIC - so have a look ALL you doubters.

as I've said before, IT's the FILM & FILMING thats **** NOT the Fighters...

plus hundreds of fights and you don't think the RJJs, BHops, Klits or LL would have to work dam hard against GREATER ERA's

11. thistle1

Jul 30, 2006
  12. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Burt! These testimonies are my favorite to hear. Thank you for this information. And I know exactly what you mean by the walk of a fighter lol, and thats great to hear you vindicate my beliefs of the old time greats. Thanks Burt!

Simply incredible. When he started moving around while shadow boxing I was like whaaaaa?!?

13. thistle1

Jul 30, 2006
    I'll have to try and find that Australian site again with Loads of 1930s Footage which is perfect and shows these fighter were just as normal when the Film and/or the Filming was done right.

also this footage of Armstrong & Roderick from 1939 below, is perfect, so once again when the Film is Right, you can see perfectly well just how good these fighters were and again they did it year after year in Multiple Fights!

Gatekeeper and roughdiamond like this.
  14. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    The British Pathe footage really throws up some gems quality wise.

A real eye opener for me was watching Larry Gains vs Phil Scott on this. It was shot relatively close up, was clear as a bell and the sound was in sync, and although they weren't the best in the world they looked damn good (especially so in Gains' case who scored a peach of a KO) with quality film footage.

Another really good British Pathe scrap was Freddie Mills KOing Len Harvey I believe. It was filmed outdoors, during the afternoon in the midst of WW2 when blackout regulations were in effect, preventing a clash indoors in the evening. Just a fascinating time capsule from a truly monumentally historic time and a real treasure for anyone who has an interest in boxing or history. And the fighters looked pretty damn good too.

15. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015

Young amateur boxers in the 30s. Very good footage!