Oleksandr Usyk vs Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Sugar 88, Sep 10, 2020.

Frazier vs Usyk - who would you take?

1. Frazier

113 vote(s)
    74.3%
  2. Uysk

39 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    I do understand far more than majority of posters here.
    Remember, smart persons for example had marked Foreman as 1:3 underdog vs Frazier and outocme was: Foreman after fight was Undisputed!
    I don't care about your opinions regards to my knowledge or interest level.

There are questions.30 y.o Usyk or current Usyk's version.

Young Usyk might had chances to KTFO Joe Frazier.

Chisora's toughness is undervalued as hell.
    Yes, Dereck is slow and with bad gas tank but he is tough and good boxer.
    Fury didn't had stopped him in first fight and I do not see how Usyk might beat large Fury.

2. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Frazier not likely might beat Ali from 60 ies.
    Current Usyk version : yes. this Frazier might beat.
    WBSS Usyk version : if Frazier manages to keep out from middle - long range and long range fight then.......
    In other ranges and bearing in mind that Usyk isn't clinch artist : Smokin Joe will win vs prime Usyk.

Joe had better gas tank than Briedis, not alone Usyk and if he managed to keep distance suitable for him then machine will start work.

Btw I will induce harsh yelling but Frazier didn't lost fairly both fights vs Ali at all.

One only difference: Ali from 70 ies was not Ali from 60 ies and he unlike Foreman allowed to close distance before putting out hard diligent work on Ali version from 70 ies.
    Fights with Frazier and Shavers had changed his future forever. Nothing to regret?

3. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    WTF has Foreman v Frazier got to do with anything?You could pick any fight where the underdog won. But it has F.... All to do with this topic

Reinhardt likes this.
  4. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Ohh, yeah, I forget selfish and noobish attitude to boxing majority of posters here does have.:D

5. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    I’m a fan of both guys and would love to see this fight. Haven’t seen enough of Usyk at HW to give him my vote but he’s a smart fighter and anything is possible. Out of respect for one of my boxing hero’s, I’d have to pull for Smokin Joe. I rooted for Frazier every time I saw him fight and was genuinely sad when I learned of his passing. RIP, Joe Frazier, a bad dude who beat a lot of bigger guys.

Surrix likes this.
  6. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    If he managed to close distance then I had voted for Joe from 70 ies of course.
    For Joe maybe 15 rounds scheduled too might had help then a lot. Joe in prime had amazing gas tank.

Jackman65 likes this.
  7. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Frazier has too much power and stamina. He could do to Usyk what Chisora did in the first round but for fifteen rounds.

Reinhardt and MarkusFlorez99 like this.
  8. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Sorry, Frazier had considerably higher speed for his hooks and half hooks than Chisora might even to dream to have.
    For Frazier here most difficult task is to get in comfortable for him distance.
    Ofc western fans undervalue how dangerous and difficult is to do vs for example 29-30 y.o Usyk's versions.
    Then, if he managed to do this, there........ he might had land a lot of punches in row with decent speed. On Chisora or Usyk or these A.J too.

If Frazier is in comfortable for him range and not damaged then this : nightmare for everyone. Also Frazier had excellent, really amazing gas tank.

9. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012

kirk and gollumsluvslave like this.
  10. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    What?

Fergy likes this.
  11. Decker

Decker Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Look what happened?
    I favored the bigger, stronger AJ. But the better boxer won. I did think Usyk had a chance to outpoint AJ, and he did.

Not a close comparable, few fights are, but this reminds me of the Pac-Oscar bout. Pac was the faster, better boxer and DLH seemed to "age overnight". AJ is still young for a HW.

Now I think Usyk very likely outpoints Joe F. Remember Joe was a slow starter. Frazier had a good engine - so does Usyk !

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  12. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    No.

Let the asswhoopin Joshua recieved be a lesson in the sport of boxing. Styles make fights. Just because he got hit a lot against Chisora and struggled against Breidis did not automatically mean he would loose to Joshua, and just because Usyk schooled Joshua does not mean he would beat prime Frazier.

Frazier is all wrong for Usyk. Usyk would outbox him early but Frazier would up the work rate significantly as the rounds go by and he would be able to apply this pressure from the earlyish mid rounds until the final bell. Usyk would then shell up on the ropes like he did against Breidis and Frazier would be going to the body constantly. The fact that even Joshua, yes Joshua, (the guy that Usyk just schooled) had success going to the body and walking Usyk down for a couple of rounds makes me give Usyk even less of a chance against Joe Frazier. Usyk's boxing ability and stamina will not save him here

Brighton bomber and Noel857 like this.
  13. Decker

Decker Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2007
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not saying Frazier would be easy for Usyk, just that he can win.

Now are you going to tell me Joe F beats AJ?! :dunno

14. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I feel Frazier could have beaten AJ because of his ability to duck underneath Ali`s jab and counter with the hook, but Frazier v Usyk would have been a classic, Frazier nevder beat a southpaw that good.

15. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Usyk by points in a gruelling fight. Usyk doesn’t like shorter, come-forward pressure fighters who bob their heads. Look at the Chisora or Nistor fights for proof of that. He’d likely pick Frazier off in enough rounds to take the decision, but Frazier would be making it close every round.

Ironically Frazier would have a nightmare time with Joshua.