On this day 40yrs ago in 1980, we had a WBC and a WBA Heavyweight title fights on the same day.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Ken Ashcroft, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    31st March 1980, Larry Holmes makes the 6th successful defence of his WBC title by stopping Leroy Jones in the 8th round at Ceasars Palace, Las Vegas. Over in Knoxville, Tennessee, undefeated WBA title holder, John Tate was less than 1 minute away from clearly retaining his title when he suffered one of the most dramatic 15th round knockouts at the hands of Mike Weaver. It was rumoured that Tate would have defended his title next against Muhammad Ali had he beaten Weaver. Instead it would be Holmes that would defend his title against Ali later on that year.

Both title fights were shown live and free on prime time TV on the ABC channel along with Sugar Ray Leonard defending his WBC welterweight title against Dave ‘Boy’ Green and a WBA light heavyweight title fight between Marvin Johnson and Eddie Mustafa Muhammad.Multiple titles fights on free prime time TV?Those were the days.Lol.

2. BELLERS

BELLERS Active Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Boxing in the 1980s was so so good in my opinion ( I’m probably biased as it was when it got hold of me in my teenage years ! ). Every weight category had a plethora of stars and top match-ups available. Nobody seemed to duck any opponent, or take the easy option, probably because it was harder to, due to the talent around !
    Plus the fact there weren’t so many belts available made it so much easier to follow and understand. Maybe I’m seeing it through rose tinted spectacles but jeez, I enjoyed it.

3. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    All of 1977 until June of 1980 were wonderful for boxing fans. All the major fights were on free tv prime-time specials. Young-Foreman, Norton-Bobick, Night of the Champions, Night of the Heavyweights, Ali-Shavers, Norton-Young, Ali-Spinks, Holmes-Norton, Holmes-Shavers, Leonard-Benitez, and the double-heavyweight title card in the original post. The undercards were usually great, too. Duran-Leonard I was the beginning of the end of that fabulous time, as it was the first of many big fights since Ali-Norton III to be shown on closed-circuit tv. The networks couldn't compete against those closed-circuit and later pay-per-view dollars.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  4. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    What a good night for boxing, televised live on prime television. Larry Holmes defended his WBC World Heavyweight Title against Leroy Jones, TKO 8, and WBA World Heavyweight Champion Big John Tate losing his title to Mike Hercules Weaver, by KO 15.

5. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    On August 2, it'll be 40 years ago that two major title changes happened in the same day, with Aaron Pryor and Tommy Hearns each becoming champion. When was the last time you saw two fights like that happen in the same day and televised too?

6. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    2 coldcocks in the same day, Tate-Weaver, and Leonard-Green.

7. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Never send a (Dave) Boy to do a man’s job.

That Leonard left-hook KO was devastatingly beautiful.

Richard M Murrieta and Titan1 like this.
  8. Titan1

Oct 18, 2004
    Indeed, it was. Arguably his best performance pre-Duran.

9. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I’d go with Andy Price: much better pedigree/resume than Green. “Uncrowned champ” had, at the point SRL took him out with ease in one, wins over the beltholders Pipino Cuevas and Carlos Palomino.

Yeah, I know Dave Boy got a hometown verdict over the Hawk (even the Brits thought that was a joke) but Price was the better guy and Leonard didn’t play with his food in that one.

Richard M Murrieta and Titan1 like this.
  10. Titan1

Oct 18, 2004
    You make a great point. He ended matters there strong. Right on point with Price pedigree.

Saintpat and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  11. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Terrific Post.

Ken Ashcroft likes this.
  12. steve21

steve21 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Those years made me a boxing fan ... there weren't a half-dozen sanctioning bodies, there were even a few champs the non-boxing fan knew by name. You could sit in your living room without paying an arm and a leg and watch the best in the game. And that last-round KO of Tate was the Rocky moment we live for in this sport.

Titan1 likes this.