On this day in 1962, Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) stopped Archie Moore.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Richard M Murrieta, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Archie Moore said that he had a special punch for Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali). The punch was called The Lip Buttoner.

2. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    What flavor ice cream did you get? (I’m just kidding — I know they had only barely invented vanilla by your day).

Tiny cool part of this is that Archie showed two fights he lost … didn’t have to assuage his ego by showing you fights he won so he could humble brag on himself.

Archie was everything a champion should be, everything a boxer should be … everything a man should be. How fortunate that you got to witness this in your youth (OK, you were probably retired by this time but still).

3. cslb

cslb Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 27, 2014
    I think Moore had a fondness for Clay since he actually trained him for a while.

4. techks

techks ATG list Killah! Full Member

Dec 6, 2009

Him n SRR having a chat about a "Best I've Faced" would've been very entertaining. Can't wait to brush up more on both.

5. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    I think so too. I think that Muhammad Ali just could not deal with the discipline that Archie expected.

6. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Ha Ha. You are right. I had Chocolate Ice Cream, and a few bottles of Dr. Pepper. Archie spoke to us about how he did did an episode on the family sitcom, Family Affair.

Pugguy and Saintpat like this.
  7. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    According to Hauser's book, Moore wanted to teach Ali longevity, slip, punch and end fights early. Ali said he wanted to box like Sugar Ray Robinson.......Moore said..."you don't want to box like that son."

8. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Cool, Thanks for the info.

Pugguy and DJN16 like this.
  9. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Sad bout. Moore wanted to pay it forward (like many l old school men) and mentor Ali. Ali's mentality was beneficial to his dominance. Make you wonder how he felt later in life.

Pugguy and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  10. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    I wonder? Muhammad Ali chose Angelo Dundee instead.

Pugguy and HolDat like this.
  11. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Imagine the potential longevity.

12. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Man, Muhammad Ali may have lasted longer a a pro, maybe less Neurological damage too.

steve21, Pugguy and HolDat like this.
  13. Vic The Gambler

Vic The Gambler Active Member Full Member

Jun 14, 2022
    I imagine that fight was a bit of a grudge match eh…the gruff ol trainer vs his young and brash former student. Archie never really stood a chance fighting a quicksilver young guy like Clay (Ali). But kudos to 47 year old Moore for taking the fight.

From reading about him and hearing the words of my dad and his cronies way back in the day, plus former boxers, boxing writers and trainers, and not forgetting some of you experienced and knowledgeable guys in here like Richard, I’ve come to the conclusion that Archie Moore was a half decent boxer…

Seriously though, he was a legend. Not only the best LHW ever, not only did he fight for 27 years at a high level, not only was he also a trainer and a referee, but he was a Hollywood actor too, appearing alongside some top names like Raymond Burr, William Shatner, Charles Bronson and one of my childhood heroes the Six Million Dollar Man himself, Lee Majors.What a guy Archie was!

Now if only he had invented his own grill, then he would have achieved absolutely everything in life haha!

14. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Moore was actually within one month shy of 49 when he fought Ali!
    Ali was just better than him & virtually everyone-but I do not know the result would be much different prime for prime.

But the absolutely incredible thing about The Old Mongoose is that I cannot even FIND any actual decline.
    Consider his win loss ratio, by what method, the division (moving up sometimes, which is harder) & the quality & record of his opponents...
    It is really hard to even say he was better in his 20's or 30's than throughout his 40's!

I kind of do not understand it.
    He could quickly lose or gain weight, allegedly chubby for some fights, no modern technology...
    How on earth did he remain elite until basically the end?
    I mean he campaigned hard for but earned that shot against that great up & comer Clay.

Am I missing something, can anyone find any pattern of even a
    This content is protected
    that I overlooked?
    [url]https://boxrec.com/en/box-pro/8995[/url]

15. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Rich, isn’t that fight that Ali originally forecast to win in 8 but because Archie had been “popping off” with comments like the “lip buttoner” Ali cut his prediction in half down to 4 rounds?

To think anyone would have had the audacity to be “popping off” BACK at Muhammad (then Cassius).

Not even the great, always perfectly articulate Archie Moore was given a pass.

As far as Ali was concerned, the smack talk was a one way street. Lol.

Funny, even Foreman said that while he was confident he could KO Ali, he wasn’t so sure he could ever stop him talking - suggesting that even while flat on the canvas, Ali would likely be lifting his head up and still ranting something at him. Haha.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    Richard M Murrieta likes this.