On this day in 1962, Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) stopped Archie Moore.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Richard M Murrieta, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Very good. I like it.

Law and Order: Humorous Intent. You’re under arrest for crimes relating to jocularity. Read him his rights and don’t forget the punchline.

I also liked L & O: DUI and L & O: IUD.

For the boxed trifecta, UDI, DIU, UID and IDU would all likely stand for something also - but nothing overtly apparent..at least to me.

Speaking of ponies, remember McCloud, the Marshall in NY who rode a horse and wore a 10 gallon head on his two pint head?

Nothing beats a good ol’ chase on horseback. All in jest of course, fun show and I liked Dennis Weaver. Gentle Ben with Ron Howard’s more famous and talented brother Clint was nice also.

How about Weaver’s role in Duel? - great performance. great movie.

Richard M Murrieta and Saintpat like this.
  2. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I’d say you’re being flippant, but you probably think flippant was a dolphin.

I loved Duel.

McCloud? Not bad. I’m a big fan of movies with horses and guns, especially if they shoot the guns.

Pugguy likes this.
  3. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I own a sore bought copy of Duel (1971) on VHS. I remember Dennis Weaver as Chester on Gunsmoke.

Pugguy likes this.
  4. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I used to have a cat named Festus. He was a good cat.

Now I have a boy named Canelo (feisty ginger) and a girl named Miss Rotten (she’s the rottenest one … likes to do whatever she’s not supposed to do).

5. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Did Festus your cat used to meow, Gee Golly Bill? Ha Ha.

6. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    This stood out to me-because the superintendent in my building ALSO had a cat named festus!
    His apartment door was & is several feet away, right across from mine.
    He had an old-fashioned, mostly vanished due to the increased value of real estate situation-where he received no salary but never paid rent for 33 years...

He worked for NYC transit on the subway, older, soft spoken, not much education.
    I used to loan him a few dollars here & there until I discovered he spent what was a good income all on lottery tickets.
    Before he moved I discovered he won five 50K tix in 2009, gave one away to a guy who was supposed to but never paid for the purchase of his ticket, 30K to a local (actors) chapel...And within a year had gambled away the rest.

A heavy smoker for 59 years before they discovered lung cancer.
    For a few years he had a chain smoking Brother who lived with him before he died.
    Took him to the Dr. once, they had to treat that & a heart murmur before they could take care of a ba & very painful leg.
    But sometime before the pandemic he was moved out to live in Long Island with one of 2 sons-& is fine.

But he had a cat Festus that was a bit...Squirrely. Not well socialized.

He was aggressive with others, & even scratched up Mario a few times.
    Once at his front door he told me "give me my cane, I'm going to kill the cat".
    I had to treat that request with disfavor lol!

Anywho, they cleared out the apt. EXCEPT for the cat.
    10 or so, I agreed to try & find it a home.
    The door was unlocked for a while, the landlord did not know-anywho our fire escapes were connected & he/we had old style windows so access was easy.
    I would go in to feed Festus, & the poor thing was confused & scared-I would have picked up, petted, coforted him-but even sitting there he sometimes would hiss & swipe/scratch at me.

I recruited a red haired & bearded young character who lives in Central Park to help me, & we managed to trap the cat!
    He had a bike, so I had him peddle downtown to a place I had found & visited, "Animal Haven".
    There for a while Festus ha the "Executive Suite": that means a large cage & they played with him several times a day.

But he was over 10 & that is hard to adopt out even if sweet & cuddly.
    He got worms once, I checked occasionally for months...
    Then somewhat later I checked again & discovered I dunno a year after coming in they got him a home!

They actually made it
    This content is protected
    difficult: why on earth would you change his name to "Fester"?!?
    Might as well call him "open wound".
    I mean not even "Uncle Fester", which at least would be a funny pop culture character reference. :cat:

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  7. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    The Old Mongoose & a video about his success & methods below.
    He was no spring chicken in 1951, when he fought 18 times, going 16-1-1!
    In 1953 he fought 6 times between January & March before his rematch with Maxim, who much later than he should have gotten the opportunity, he took the LHW title-promptly holding it for a still record 10 years while often campaigning at HW.

I see a remarkable symmetry between him & Marciano.
    Rocky was being out boxed & used power, volume, & endurance to beat Moore.
    Moore though fairly aged & knocked down 4 times vs. Durelle came back to take the long due LHW title, then later the rematch.

But what they shared was an incredible fighting spirit.
    One did it more with brute power & endurance.
    Moore shared his toughness, endurance, & while not quite as much volume & power, greater boxing skills.

But BOTH of them easily could have not survived these fights.
    Or at best lose a decision-but each conjured a great effort under pressure.

Amazing. Imagine guys, especially when at championship level, fighting this often.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    Richard M Murrieta and Stevie G like this.
  8. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Choosing the best 175lb man ever is a stiff task. But I'd more than likely plump for Archie and his old nemesis,Ezzard Charles.

Richard M Murrieta and Entaowed like this.
  9. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Flippant?, “Shoiley”, you can’t be serious?

Flipper was good but not a patch on Skippy, The Bush Kangaroo - Flip’s marsupial equivalent.

Did Flipper have a pouch in front to carry medical tools to save lives, including the performing of brain surgery? Nuff said!

I liked The Littlest Hobo, the orig. melancholic theme song was GREAT.

Remember in the 70s there was a spate of shows with cops/detectives having disabilities - like Ironside (wheel chair) and Easy Street (blind).

Of course there was (Frank) Cannon who was just plain obese - but who somehow always got his man.

I really feared for Cannon during some of those “on foot” chase scenes. I think in one episode the pursued criminal had to actually double back and give Cannon CPR. Once he was good they recommenced the “chase”.

My memory is a bit hazy on that one so I “could be” wrong.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  10. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    I wasn’t a fan of cats (more a dog man) but I was outvoted by the rest of the family.

Willow is her name.

Despite an abundant supply elsewhere, they gravitate to the one is who isn’t giving them the affection they crave - moi! She won me over. Just her. No other cats.

Rest assured, I am NOT this type of Dog Man:-

KidGalahad likes this.
  11. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    @djanders hangs out in the lounge with me usually these days. We like to smoke cigars and throw darts at pictures of our enemies together over coffee.

Saintpat likes this.
  12. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    What the ****?

13. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    I used to watch Skippy, I liked the theme. it was great.

Pugguy and Stevie G like this.
  14. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    "Skippy....Skippy.....Skippy the bush kangaroo"

Pugguy and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  15. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Cool.