One Fighting Championship thread

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by Stoo, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Stoo

Stoo Obsessed with Boxing banned

Apr 4, 2008
    A big signing for an org with only one event in the books. Do you think One FC can make a go of being a viable, and entertaining, alternative to the UFC MMA monopoly? A DREAM Co-Pro event is also on the cards.

2. Lynchburg

Lynchburg Guest

I'd like to think they can Stoo but I seriously doubt it.

As soon as they get any decent fighters they will be snaffled up by the UFC before they can make an impact... sad but true.

Sobral should have stayed with SF really. Any idea why he has left/not re-signed?

Lynchburg

3. Stoo

Apr 4, 2008
    Well I think they can build a name for themselves with home grown Asian fighters and the scraps left by the UFC, much like BAMMA are attempting to do in Europe. Dont think it will rival the UFC brand, at least in the West. But the more MMA the better imo

I dont think Babalu is in Zuffa's good books, and vice versa. Shame, he would have been a good test for the likes of Gus and could test the ground game of any up and commers

And Baroni v Babalu, whislt not having much relevance, will be fun too watch until Phil does a ''Baroni''

4. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Highly unlikely. This is a basic game of economics. Whom ever can offer the most money is where the fighters will go. If there was another org that could offer better money than the UFC bet your life the UFC would loose its stable of fighters over night. That said id like to see One FC survive as they use the old PRIDE ruleset.

5. Stoo

Apr 4, 2008
    Yeah, obviously the OFC cant compete financially, but hopefully it will be a viable alternative for fighters outside Zuffa's good books as well as nurturing some of the talent in Asia. Id like Asian MMA too keep it's own identity, i.e. PRIDE rule set, less wrestling based skill set and so on

I dont really want to turn this into a USA MMA V Asian MMA debate. Im just wondering if One FC can develop an Asian fan base and flourish in it's own right. We already have a McD's and Starbucks in every town and City, it would be a shame if MMA went the same route and adopt the Zuffa business model with UFC expansion into Asia.

A wise man once said ''I believe human beings and fish can co-exist peacefully''. I believe the same is possible with MMA

6. The Spider

The Spider Guest

Perhaps Babalu will become their new pin-up boy. There's not much chance he'll get snaffled back by the UFC.

7. Stoo

Apr 4, 2008
    Babalu only has a finite shelf life, as his best days are behind him. Pretty unlikely you can build a brand on the back of him like the UFC did with Chuck for example. They will probably need a home grown star of their own to do that

Having said that, the man puts on exciting fights 9 times out of 10 and is a seasoned pro who may attract other's into the idea that this is a worthwhile org to be a part of.

8. The Spider

The Spider Guest

With the difficulty they'll have assembling a top stable of fighters they'll need to be doubly careful Babula doesn't kill anybody.

9. Stoo

Apr 4, 2008
    :lol:

No such thing as bad publicity I guess

10. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Zuffa must have turfed him out because he is good SF material.

11. greathamza

greathamza Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 14, 2011
    He is an exciting fighter and almost always fun to watch just hope this One fc thing sticks

12. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    Not likely at all. Babalu has been around a LONG time. He's on borrowed time already.

13. leejunfan777

leejunfan777 Guest

i personally think babalu is washed up big time
    his last fight showed that

14. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    :deal

15. Stoo

Apr 4, 2008
    True but not the point tbh. First time I had heard of the WEC and Uriah Faber was when he beat a washed up Jens Pulver. And the 1st time I noticed Strikeforce was when Frank Shamrock beat a washed up Baroni

I think Babalu is more competitive than either, he's only lost to Mousasi & Hendo in recent years