One good thing Hatton has that people overlook

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by gilad, Jun 26, 2007.

1. gilad

gilad Active Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    One punch KO power in his left hand.
    His left hook is a money shot both to the body (Castillo) and to the head (Maussa). He knocked out two very durable guys lately who were never down - in one punch.
    I admit I didn't think in the past that he has it in him, I thought he can only knockout guys late in a fight with a combination of punches.

2. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    BWA HA HA HA HA HA AH HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA phew nearly choked then...

3. Jazzo

Jazzo Non-Facebook Fag Full Member

Feb 5, 2006
    He certainly has passable power.

When he KOED Maussa I was quick to point out the fact that it is very unusual to see him win a fight with a blow to the head - most of his KO's are via body punches.

He certainly has very good power in his body punches, and he has shown that he is not completely useless upstairs either.

4. smokey

smokey Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Still, I think saying he has one punch KO power is a stretch. Floyd one punch KO'ed Mitchell with a body shot, and I wouldn't attribute him with one punch KO power. One punch KO power shows itself with a pattern of one punch KO's. Hatton has that debilitation clubbing type of power (like Cotto).

5. grayggr

grayggr Active Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2006
  6. gilad

gilad Active Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Mitchell isn't durable at all. I remember him being down more time than being up in the second Tszyu fight. I didn't say Hatton is the second coming of Julian Jackson or something, just that when he gets a perfect left hook he can knock anybody at 140 out, something he can't do with his right hand.

7. grayggr

Apr 24, 2006
    Pep, Pendleton, Rowland, Hutchinson, Stewart, Collazo, Castillo... all left hooks whether to body or head.

8. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    His left hand is a ko punch. He transfers his weight correctly in that hand. To body or head, his left is clearly devastating.

Hatton has dropped and stopped fighters with every kind of left hand - jab, uppercut, hook and a variation of different shots.

9. grayggr

Apr 24, 2006
    Just one other point, although I agree with your post in general - Hatton has had 31 KO's in his career. Only 5 have come in the 6th round or further (2 being KO's in the 6th, leaving 3 KO's coming later than the 6th)

Hatton rarely knocks out guys late. If he wins by KO it is usually sub 6 rounds. If a fighter goes beyond 7, look for a UD or in Kostya's case - a retirement.