One of the strangest shows I’ve ever come across

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Saintpat, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    On Feb. 25, 1986, Azteca Promotions staged a card at the Forum in Inglewood, California.

Azumah Nelson won a 12-round majority decision over Marcos Villasana in defense of his WBC featherweight crown.

In the chief supports, Hector Lopez and Rodolfo Gonzalez won 10-round decisions.

So far, so good. Nice card but nothing of note.

Below that, however, there were four 4-round fights:

Ruben Olivares (89-12-2) fought to a majority draw with Roman Almaguer (13-9-4) — Ruben’s first fight since late 1981

Carlos Zarate (54-2) won a majority decision over Adam Garcia (9-6) — Zarate’s first fight since 1979

Pipino Cuevas (30-11) won a unanimous decision over Felipe Vaca (33-13-2) — Pipino had been off almost a year

Rafael Herrera (46-9-4) won a majority decision over Alfredo Meneses (10-9-2) — Herrera, a former bantamweight champ, was off for 10 years before this fight

Oh, and there was a four-round women’s bout, which was a rarity in those days.

Does anyone know anything about this show? How the heck did they get four prominent former champs — three of whom were legends — to come out of retirement (not sure if Pipino had retired but he’d been dormant) to fight in FOUR-ROUNDERS? I mean, I could see if it they were doing a seniors tour type thing and four exhibitions among themselves (Cuevas is larger so maybe find a retired welter of note for him) … but they’re fighting pretty ordinary opponents in regular, sanctioned prelims like they were novices.

I was looking up something on Pipino on boxrec and noticed this odd four-rounder that stuck out like a thumb on his late-career record and wondered, ‘Huh, what’s he doing in a low-undercard fight, what else took place on this card?’ … and when I clicked it I see these other legendary names.

I’d be interested in any information on this card if anyone has any memories or has heard of this one before.

2. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    There is a boxrec glitch in there some place, because, if you look it up by checking the record of Villasana, it shows the fight occurred in August of 87, with a different undercard.

3. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    I think you’re looking at the rematch.

greynotsoold likes this.
  4. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    This was a charity show setup to give financial aid to the victims of a major earthquake that took place in Mexico and to assist the victims of the disaster. Many past Mexican stars volunteered to fight on the card and it actually jump-started Zarate's comeback.

5. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I think that I am going senile.
    I remember their second fight, and that card, but I completely forgot that they fought twice.

Saintpat likes this.
  6. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Ahhh, that makes sense.

Thank you for the background. Exactly what I was looking for!