Open Scoring: For or Against

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ironchamp, Aug 23, 2007.

1. MrSmall

MrSmall Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Against!
    Dude who has the delusion he's still in the fight, even if he's not, can muster up that last burst of energy to get the last round, and successfully KO's the sucker.
    if he knows he's 8 rounds down, it's a bit of a slap on the mental outlook of the losing fella.

2. miamite

miamite tko Full Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Absolutely, and we don't want an effect from it. All it will do is make judges weary of their scorecard, and have self doubt creep in. The last thing we want is judges scoring 'make-up' rounds to fighters they don't really feel won that certain round. The only effect from it would be judges trying to even out the scorecards, which of course is something we do not want to happen.

3. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    I can only think of one out and out robbery in mainstream boxing in last 17 years, and open scoring would not of resolved what happened in Coggi/GonzalesI...

4. streetsaresafer

streetsaresafer Member Full Member

May 5, 2007
    I voted against but I thought of a way just now to make 'open' scoring work.

What about only telling the boxers/corners themselves the scores after each round?

So don't announce the score to HBO/Showtime, the crowd, or the reporters covering the fight. Only tell the fighters and possibly their corners.

This way a fighter knows if he is ahead or behind and can adjust accordingly. Like someone said, DLH-Trinidad, DLH would have been more aggressive had he known the score.

The beauty of not announcing the score to HBO/Showtime, and the crowd is that you preserve the drama for the viewer. They still don't know the outcome.

Of course the one big problem with this idea is you have the corner camera work between rounds, so you'd inevitably hear corner guys telling them if they are ahead or behind. Don't know if this could be fixed or not.

Just trying to see if there is a middle ground here.

5. jhar26

jhar26 Member Full Member

Dec 23, 2004
    True, but there are also fights in which one guy wins, say the first seven rounds. If he knows that he only needs to play it safe and stay out of trouble for the remaining five rounds to win the fight.

I would be in favor of having five or even seven instead of three people scoring fights though. Probably sounds absurd to most of you, but the more people score a fight, the more change you have of coming up with the right result. Two out of three people getting it wrong is more likely to happen than four out of seven.

6. Street Lethal

Street Lethal Active Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Judges would definitely be influenced by the crowd and the corners in open scoring. When their scores are flashed on the screen they will be cheered or booed depending on the context. It will have an effect big time. Hometown decisions will be even more frequent.

Other sports have open scoring because the score is obvious. To say boxing should have open scoring because these sports do is to confuse the way the respective sports are judged. If I score a touchdown, then whether the points goes up on the board or not is academic, because we all know I scored. But if I score a solid punch in a round, it may be negated by solid punches from my opponent, and my opponent doesn't want a judge to be influenced by the fact that the crowd doesn't want him to count his punches because I am the crowd favorite.

Open scoring is a terrible idea.