Opinions..Could Harry Greb have actually beaten Jack Dempsey?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Greb & Papke 707, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Greb & Papke 707

Greb & Papke 707 Active Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2019
    i’ve been reading and have Read a ton of articles, books and clippings on the Greb Dempsey “rivalry “( Greb is my favorite fighter to read about) Greb apparently savaged Dempsey in sparring, but that doesn’t say all that much imo, after all spadafora bested Floyd sparring. I know it’s hard to make assumptions based on Grebs lack of footage, but do you think Greb could’ve beaten Jack or would Dempsey have caught up to him? I’m unsure of when exactly there primes would be but I’d assume they were around the same time , how do you guys think it would’ve went down?

TipNom and BitPlayerVesti like this.
  2. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    How many rounds? Fat Willie Meehan had no problem turning the trick over 4 rounds.

George Crowcroft and BCS8 like this.
  3. Greb & Papke 707

Greb & Papke 707 Active Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2019
    My bad, let’s say a championship fight, not sure if they were 10 or 15 at that time tho

4. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    If you were Gene Tunney, you could get back to back 10 rounds championship fights.

There was a time when Greb might have been able to pip him but the circumstances would have had to been perfect. Not sure I would have bet on it. Bottom line is that he did beat Brennan (5 times?), Gibbons, Miske and well, Tunney himself (tho lost to him as time wore on). That gives him some cred in this discussion.

5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    He also beat Langford over 4 rds

6. Knights107

Knights107 Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Dempsey have size advantage & power.

Prime 4 prime dempsey.

Reinhardt likes this.
  7. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I agree Dempsey would be favoured, but I don't know if his size would be particularly helpful as an advantage, he usually enjoyed fighting taller opponents

8. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This is what I've always thought. Greb might well pip him in a shorter fight but that Dempsey would impose his size and power the longer the fight went on. I put a fair amount of weight on the sparring performance because Dempsey famously used to shred his sparring partners so Greb doing well in sparring him is not far off fighting the real article. I think I pick Greb in a fight 8 rounds or less.

louis54 likes this.
  9. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Greb beat him in sparring, yes.

But a title bout is different, and at his peak I'd have to go with Dempsey over 15. Even then, I have doubts he could KO Greb.

Greb would also make Jack look bad at the beginning.

Tonto62 and louis54 like this.
  10. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    No, not over the title distance of 15 and over.

Reinhardt and red cobra like this.
  11. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    It is genuinely hard to say.

Greb was obviously capable of winning rounds against Dempsey, and he seems to have been almost impossible to stop for the men that he actually fought.

Then again Dempsey was one of the greatest if not the greatest finisher of all time, and you have to think that in a fifteen round fight, he might well have what it took to turn the trick.

I would be genuinely intrigued to see how this one might have resolved itself!

12. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Dempsey KO 2!!!! Real fight is for real.

13. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Amen my Bro!!! That's the way I call it...and to hell with those "gym wars"...

The Morlocks and robert ungurean like this.
  14. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    That's ok,...it wouldn't have gone anywhere as long as that...Dempsey by ko in 1 or 2....Good thing for Greb's mystique that the fight never happened.

15. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    If it was for the world heavyweight title, I imagine people would be incredibly excited for it.

However, I think it would end similar to Tyson-Spinks, especially if the pre-fight coverage was all about Greb dominating Dempsey in a couple rounds of sparring and it got personal.

Spinks beat great fighters. Spinks beat bigger heavyweights. Spinks had an awkward style. Didn't matter.

I think Dempsey would come out raging and overwhelm him.