Opinions of DAZN coverage

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by KermitTheFrog, Aug 1, 2021.

Have they?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Had no choice. Have to buy in to the market and create a profile. Same thing boxxer are doing in UK

Sonny1 likes this.
  2. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
    I still think it was a decent job at the start of the US branch out though. It was a shame that AJ lost, because the Americans love a marketable heavyweight who delivers knockouts. I can imagine a lot of PBC boxers were giving some pretty positive vibes about joining, before Haymon said he was going to match any offers. Charlos, Broner etc and Wilder was made a great offer that, for me he def should have accepted. The $100 millionish one.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
    Trafford and SeanB1 like this.
  3. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    On Farmer, and I know I was winding you up before, but I honestly think if the Tank fight would have been made, which was 3 years ago now, it was an inside shootout. Tank has still boxed no one and was a lot less experienced back then, but they were never going to let him box off Showtime even with the 5 million offer. Mad really, as he’s only just earn’t that amount now for his last fight years later. Bloody boxing politics.

SeanB1 likes this.
  4. ALN93

ALN93 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

May 12, 2023
    I could have told him that 3.5 years ago when he paid Mikey Garcia $10m to fight Jessie Vargas.

SeanB1, Astro and Sonny1 like this.
  5. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Whilst I totally agree with you, you do however criticise Boxxer often for this

6. Trafford

Sep 29, 2018
    Exactly this.
    It was Eddies route to getting tank on the platform but Gervonta amongst others were talked out of it. Could ask Adrien Broner if he wishes he took the 3 fight deal he made fun of.

lot of things were said behind the scenes and a lot of promises made. Gervonta could have made a fortune on DAZN well before these current paydays. PBC were bled dry in the process of overpaying fighters. I actually think if Matchroom turned the screw and overpaid again in the US for another 12/18 months PBC would likely fold. Also heard a rumour the ESPN boxing deal might go to Zuffa boxing and Dana White

Sonny1 likes this.
  7. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    Good point on Broner, what a terrible decision that was and he also turned down a great offer from Roc Nation around the same time too. You just can’t help some people.

I think Gervontas comp has been worse than what people think. I’ve heard rumours in vegas from people I trust that he has been hugely underpaid over the last few years and that was one reason he wanted away from that contract. That’s also why he took all his heavy bags and stuff out of the Mayweather gym.

8. Trafford

Sep 29, 2018
    Ofcourse I get that. Think Bens good by routine doesn’t help.

on top of that 18 months in we are getting served up buatsi vs stepien. 2 solid fight cards all year one of which was PPV and while in the same time Hearn signed Canelo

9. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    That is ridiculous. How can that
    show make any sort of profit. Crazy.

10. Legs are shaky

Legs are shaky Member Full Member

May 25, 2023
    No way that's true???

11. ALN93

ALN93 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

May 12, 2023
    Hearn made Callum Smith v Stepien a few months before?

Bob Flaps, Wizbit1013, Bfcad and 2 others like this.
  12. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    I think Trafford's point is that Buatsi vs Stepien will be an event for Boxxer where it was keep-busy filler for Matchroom. The CBS card last weekend was a good story but has now left Boxxer with an expensive rematch nobody wants. Looks like Eubank will go off and make a few bob in the UAE instead of fighting Smith. Buatsi may well fight Azeez which will also be good fun but isn't progression, and means within their stable someone goes backwards, the sort of thing a cynic like Mickey Duff used to do.

Not putting word in Trafford's mouth but 2 years in, whatever investment Boxxer and Sky has made, hasn't led to much growth - even their punt on women's boxing saw Marshall lose and Jonas will end up commentating. They're now banking on Olympians to make the running and given it was an Olympics nobody watched thanks to Covid and time zones, I wouldn't bank on it working. If they can't keep big Clarke on side, the others will get restless too (except the female power couple who Sky seem determined to force on us regardless).

Astro and DramaShow like this.
  13. Beale

Beale Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 13, 2023
    Clareesa Shields fight last night was a decent watch if anyone did not stay up to watch it at 4am last night.

14. Skyver

Skyver Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Pity she can’t crack the surface of a crème brûlée mr Beale

Beale and nurological like this.
  15. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    To be fair to Ben, Canelo is not really what SKY's target audience want so of course he wouldn't be aiming for such talent