Opinions of DAZN coverage

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by KermitTheFrog, Aug 1, 2021.

Have they?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Beale

Beale Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 13, 2023
    Which Celtic player could this be?

2. ZiggerZagger

ZiggerZagger Active Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2012
    I take it he didn't have an agent at the time !

That is another reason why they are not so sought after now, if an appearance fee is anything remotely worth having then if as you say you fall out of favour or a new manager doesn't like you , you get injured long term etc then your salary is greatly affected.

With the type of money spent at the top end too clubs aren't keen on paying a fortune for a player , giving him a huge salary , paying large fees to agents etc then having to pay a fee for him to actually play, most players want the money guaranteed too so are more than happy to ask for more basic pay.

One player I was involved with had a clause for x amount of appearances (starting or sub appearances) to trigger a contract extension , he had a niggling injury but the transfer deadline had passed and the manager asked him to go on the bench as they were down to the bare bones of the 1st team squad and he would only bring him on if need be for 5 or 10 mins here and there, he eventually reached said number of games and we asked to discuss the terms of the extension , now this wasn't lower league or indeed a small club in fact a very successful club.

On the day we went to discuss the extension we saw the Manager, MD and DOF counting the amount of appearances in the most recent matchday programme !!! We said we think you'll find its more than 20 (the required amount) and having used the player while injured they said we don't want to offer an extension to which we replied you may not want to but are obliged to, the manager chimes in ok , 'we'll offer him £1 a week for next season' (this is an experienced manager and ex Prem League player) , I said I think you'll find it needs to be on improved terms so if you are offering £1 a week MORE than he's on with everything else the same' then thank you we'll take it and we got up to walk out !

The MD quickly called us back before we got to the door and said we'd like to discuss paying up the extra year instead ! Half way through these discussions the manager again piped up 'I really think you should take this offer or I can't see you playing in the Cup Final the week after next ', what a nice way to treat a player who had literally run through brick walls for that manager !

We had a move for more money lined up within a week, and got 85% of the value of the contract extension would have been worth plus a loyalty bonus he would have been due at the end of the following season , they ended paying MORE and then having to replace him in the squad .

im sparticus and Bob Flaps like this.
  3. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Great stories, cheers for that :) The guy did have an agent, yes!

Ha, good try - right colour, wrong city ;)

Beale likes this.
  4. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Give us a clue who the manager was mate? I’m thinking maybe Mark Hughes?

5. Astro

Astro Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    It is very disappointing and disrespectful to treat your customers like that. DAZN UK will not offer existing customers PPVs at a reduced price is beyond me...?

ash234 and Beale like this.
  6. Beale

Feb 13, 2023
    Cannot believe that the quality of UK cards is absolutely rotten yet there has been a huge % price increase.

Got to admire the loyalty of any subscribers left given the above but DAZN UK and Hearn are taking the urine big time.

My sub ended on 1 March this year and I actually feel better not giving these charlatans any more money.

Astro and sniffmybadger like this.
  7. ZiggerZagger

ZiggerZagger Active Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2012
    I couldn't possibly say , but no it wasn't Mark Hughes.

Sonny1 likes this.
  8. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    The good thing about the Saudi PPV's is you don't have to purchase it through DAZN. Like the Fury Usyk fight you can watch it through Sky or TNT. I'm not sure which I will watch, probably Sky as they don't have a dog in this fight, hopefully should be unbiased commentary. DAZN isn't even a point of consideration.

Astro and Beale like this.
  9. Beale

Feb 13, 2023
    Will flick between Sky Sports and TNT Sports to check out the pundits etc then probably settle watching on TNT Sports.

DAZN UK not even a runner in this race even though Costello would sound great commentating on horse racing instead of boxing.

sniffmybadger and Astro like this.
  10. Astro

Sep 29, 2021
    I´m going to order the event on my Sky Satellite Box and right now I'm leaning towards ordering the Sky Box Office version.

sniffmybadger and Beale like this.
  11. Beale

Feb 13, 2023
    Looking forward to a good night of boxing.

sniffmybadger and Astro like this.
  12. Bob Flaps

Mar 30, 2019
    They’re probably not allowed to, given the price point elsewhere. They could surely incentivise it some other way though? It wouldn't sway me at all but a local DAZN viewer could get extra time on their contract or something…

13. Astro

Sep 29, 2021
    I know people who booked Canelo´s last fight on DAZN and they were promised one month free access to DAZN if they bought the PPV, but they never got one month free...? It's a strange way to run a business.

sniffmybadger and Bob Flaps like this.
  14. Bob Flaps

Mar 30, 2019
    Madness. It's like they want to drive customers away.

Last edited: May 14, 2024
    Astro likes this.
  15. Astro

Sep 29, 2021
    It's a completely hopeless way of doing business and I don't understand what DAZN wants to achieve by treating their customers badly ?

Bob Flaps likes this.