Opinons of Sky Coverage"

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by iestyn2020, Nov 9, 2023.

1. iestyn2020

iestyn2020 Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2021
    As we doing one for Dazn, we should in fairness do the same for Sky, so we can see the difference and this means the Top Rank shows as well.

IMO i dont think Boxxer is as bad as some people make out, i am not talking about the lack of charisma of Ben Shalom or the production but the fights. There have been good fights on the show as well as shocking.

The butsai card for example had two very enjoyable fights but the main spoiled it. The next card doesn't look good apart from the Foster vs rhys Edwards fight looks good.

The issue is people are comparing it with Matchroom after many years with Sky but if you look when they are started were they better? i dont think so. The problem again is ben is no eddie, where fans lap up what he says because of his charisma.

Plus SKy now shows every top-rank show, which is good for boxing and next Thursday looks like a decent card.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  2. Beale

Beale Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 13, 2023
    Good and bad boxing shows/main events on every platform although most are more than boxing orientated.

The question for subscribers - are you receiving value for money whether a boxing fan, football fan or other sports fan?

Bfcad likes this.
  3. iestyn2020

Jan 27, 2021
    If your just boxing then no, dazn is alot better for you but if your interested in more than one sport like most people, then sky probably better especially if you like football

Beale and Bfcad like this.
  4. Gregor1987

Gregor1987 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Boxxer is my least favourite of the big 3 in the UK.

5. iestyn2020

Jan 27, 2021
    mine as well but if they were number 1 or even two then that would be really embarrassing who ever they were ahead of because they are so new to the game.

6. LegsAreShaky

LegsAreShaky Member Full Member

Nov 2, 2023
    Controversial opinion but have quite enjoyed some of the shows Sky have put on this year …
    Quite liked the Ryder Cup.
    Premier League football on 36 match days.
    The Ashes.
    Every Major in golf.
    Every race of the F1.

Slightly beats out a two month stretch where the UK offerings were Smith-Maxwell and (probably) some darts.

I jest of course and we all know Boxxer aren’t setting the world alight but as others have already mentioned it’s important to consider the totality of your subscription.

Back on topic:
    * Quite liked the idea of the two European title shows on the Wolves card but Whittaker not being on it is a big loss and if he’s in with another journeyman and Summers gets the Yarde fight instead it’s not a good look for Sky.
    * Riakporhe on the card is neither here nor there if he’s in with a literal punchbag.
    * CBS-Masternak is actually a good fight, but unsure on the rest of the card. Boxxer seem petrified of outsiders spoiling their planned in-house fights (should CBS come through, we’re going to see a CBS/Riakporhe/Okolie WBO carousel this year because the promoter won’t show any bottle and bring another champion over).

destruction likes this.
  7. iestyn2020

Jan 27, 2021
    Those two Europeans are really old but it is the only way to win those belts to fight them. One thing boxxer do spring up with the random fights that are either hit or miss

8. LeavemealoneKoooogs

LeavemealoneKoooogs All hail his excellency Full Member

Apr 30, 2021
    It's been a bit of a fall from grace to be honest, once the top dogs now reduced to tacky unnecessary crap like the incredibly long piano concerta before Adam Azim fought Charlton or that effing DJ between the rounds on a card in Newcastle.

With hindsight, Sky under Matchroom weren't that bad. Back when it was still about boxing and not content / views.

DramaShow likes this.
  9. DramaShow

DramaShow 19 banned Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    I've been told that Callum Simpson vs Jack Cullen for the British Title will be on the Billam-Smith vs Masternak undercard. Shalom wanted to make McKinson vs Avanesyan for the undercard too but I doubt that happens. Ben Whittaker is on the undercard but no opponent has been announced yet.

Matchroom, Sky and Hearn were an incredible partnership - they will go down as The Holy Trinity in UK boxing history. However, DAZN provides Matchroom with a platform to expand globally and become a much bigger business, transcending the world.

10. unfriendlyorchid

unfriendlyorchid Probably moaning about Sky Sports Full Member

Jul 20, 2021
    Don't mind admitting that I am not a fan of Sky Sports - I find much of their sport coverage bland and lacking in personality.

They have a few stand-out pieces that keeps their reputation going: Monday Night Football build-up is must-watch for any Premier League fan, their F1 coverage is comprehensive, and even though I'm not a fan, when I've watched cricket on there it's top class.

Since the Comcast takeover you can see the increase in lazy, bought-in coverage. I was shocked during the summer when they simply rebroadcast NBC's Premier League Series coverage, even using their graphics. Most of their golf coverage is the same, just streaming the World Feed.

They also get away with murder for some of the things they do: the way they've integrated Sky Bet into their coverage is genuinely sickening. They have led the normalisation of sport betting, and the feeling that sport can only be enjoyed while betting on it. Other broadcasters have and will follow.

Onto the topic of boxing: even in the Matchroom days, I always preferred watching boxing on BT, the coverage was wonderfully old school.

I fear the writing is on the wall for boxing on Sky with Adam Smith's departure. Given Sky's influence, we need them to support boxing, especially with Matchroom / DAZN's focus being on the US.

However there's no way Sky are going to allow Boxxer to plod along as they have been for most of 2023 so far: something has to change and fast. Comcast are the polar opposite of generous benefactors, anything seen as excess fat will be cut.

Holler likes this.
  11. Wick

Wick New Member banned Full Member

Nov 3, 2023
    Sky and Matchroom were a good partnership but helped by a good era of British fighters. I enjoyed the coverage back then though. Had a much more professional feel than Matchroom on DAZN does and I expect that was down to Adam Smith.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    Beale and rezzer like this.
  12. iestyn2020

Jan 27, 2021
    tbf i like edwards on commentary.

unfriendlyorchid likes this.
  13. Beale

Beale Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 13, 2023
    Once Hearn controlled the production, it became a platform to sell subscriptions to people who already subscribed.

Diamante, Costello and Bellew need replaced by professionals who don't irritate the viewers.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    Astro, marro and Wick like this.
  14. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Problem is, is that they'll get replacements for those guys mentioned and will tell them to do the exact same thing.

Wick and Beale like this.
  15. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Sky is shocking these days. Shalom doesn’t have what it takes. Spent big on Okolie was a mad one - never had a fan friendly style.

Wizbit1013 likes this.