Original audio from Dempsey Tunney round 7 synced to film.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by HOUDINI, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Jpreisser

Jpreisser Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 29, 2015
  2. Jason Thomas

Jason Thomas Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2019
    thank you for posting this. The Graham McNamee (sp) commentary, while not actually enlightening, certainly adds to the interest. It is a great film clip. I noticed Tunney appeared to be down 17 seconds.

I believe McNamee did the Louis-Schmeling fights and also the Seabiscuit-War Admiral match race. He is a bit crude in delivery by modern standards whether doing boxing or horse racing, but his excitement is, as the commentary put it, infectious.

*addition--Tunney was down at 5:49 according to my computer clock. He rose at 6.06, although one could argue the last second he was down was 6:05. My computer second count did mesh perfectly with the ref's rising and falling hand. So I would conclude 16 or 17 seconds or so, whatever the "official" tally in 1927 was. Perhaps modern technology is better in synchronizing the film frames with the second count, being the camera was probably hand-cranked. Where the rubber hits the road is that Tunney was down well more than a reasonable count of 10 and would have best been able to get up at about 9 if the count had started immediately. I think it possible he would not have beaten the count.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    RockyJim likes this.
  3. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Classic moment in boxing history!!!

4. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Tunneys time on the canvas was accurately determined to be 14.50 seconds several times. Bud Schulburg wrote a great book where he investigated filmed sports controversies. Here this knockdown was timed as well as a frame by frame analysis of Ali Liston 2.

5. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Wow, wonderful. Thanks for sharing.