Ortiz, Ruiz and Dillian Whyteleafe (and big josh)

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Wig, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Is Whyte even a worthy scalp or a big payday worth the risk for these guys at the moment ?
    He's just been sparked by a 40 year old man. A win over Whyte doesn't get anyone knocking on the door of an AJ or a Fury. It's debatable how much longer the casual UK audience will continue to pay for Whyte as well.

I guess Andy Ruiz might have the incentive of putting himself back on the minds of the UK fans and campaign towards an AJ trilogy decider.
    Luis Ortiz, who knows.

I'd like to see Parker-Whyte 2 personally. The first one was a good fight and it had a lot of question marks that would naturally lead to a rematch, if there was any logic applied in boxing.

Twentyman likes this.
  2. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I think Ruiz beats Whyte up. He’s a level up from Whyte imo. This version of Ortiz would be a 50/50 with Whyte now but I would lean towards Ortiz slightly.

I don’t rate Whyte as this world level operator. I honestly think he’s Chisora gatekeeper level. Hearn has done a tremendous job with him but I think we’ll see several entertaining defeats on his record when he finally packs it in.

3. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    I'd strongly favour Whyte over Ortiz (who is vastly overrated due to the Boogeyman tag) and against Ruiz I would slightly favour Whyte stylistically.

Povetkin very easily dispatch of Ortiz but I think Ruiz vs Povetkin is tough one to call stylistically.

4. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    So Whyte is talking about fighting Ortiz first then Povetkin later in the year. The combined age of them two is probably closer to 90 than it is to 80. It’s embarrassing. I suppose to be fair he’s just mentioned Wilder, who would almost decapitate him in round 1.

Meanwhile, Parker’s name doesn’t even get uttered.

5. Mitch87

Jul 29, 2018
    Already dersevedly beat Parker even if you don't count the knock down that shouldnt of happend but I would favour Parker in the rematch who grew with confidence and agrression later in the fight as Whyte started to gas.

No shame fighting Pov, hes proved his legit and still is with KO of Whyte, beating Hughie not too long ago and deep resume of above average fighters such Chagaev, Huck, Byrd, Perez, Takam etc.

Ortiz would be dissapointing fight considering he has done nothing hois whole career and age. Yet Wilder mentioned by some as being in the same bracket as AJ (which is laughable in my opinion)with Ortiz being the only notable opponent. I would favour Whyte to make quick work of Wilder; has best left hook in the division after Pov, good jab, works the body as good as any in the divison. Granted whyte defensively certainly not the best yo say the least but she he is still better defensively than the very flawed Wilder.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  6. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Lots of people, several at ringside, had it an even fight even WITH that knockdown error that favoured Parker, so that was controversial.
    I had it a draw. Some had it close for Parker, some close for Whyte.

Tony Bellew had Dillian Whyte winning at least 11 rounds, I think. So there's that.

Parker-Whyte 2 is, and always was, about hundred times more logical rematch than Whyte-Povetkin 2, of course.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  7. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Has your opinion on Bakole altered after the weekend? You always had him down as someone who you thought could compete at the top. The general consensus from Saturday seems to be that it's clear he's a way off.

8. BXNG101

BXNG101 Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Whyte does think he's some kind of big PPV draw.

The way he just casually slips his name in amongst Wilder, Fury and AJ as the top heavyweights, baffles me.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  9. Furious

Nov 2, 2017
    Sky try really hard to push him. They have to market him as being 'game' and 'a handful' who will 'fight anyone'.

He's nowhere near as gifted as Fury, nowhere near as good (or marketable as Joshua) and nowhere near as dangerous as Wilder.

If he has a defeat or two more I can see him eventually becoming a Chisora type. Fighting a bit too long against prospects and beefing up PPVs.

Sorry @Aydamn

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  10. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I,d favour ortiz to beat him. I think people are sleeping on ortiz a bit nowadays because wilder beat him and hes not great against certain styles mainly why wilder selected him. A good opponent but one that didnt like wilders style even though he fought pretty well. Ortiz more of a counter puncher. Wilder made his output low...and made the shorter lengthed man come into him.

If whyte was to beat ortiz it would need to be a disciplined performance. If you go into ortiz or fight aggresively like whyte sometimes does...it probably wont end well. Ortiz a solid unit. He was outpunched by jennings in their fight by a lot....jennings came off a lot more worse for wear tho. He pretty much just inticed jennings in knowing he,do the more damage. Reckon thats a bad style for whyte.

Although whyte wont need to go into him...if he does approach it aggresively ortiz is great at countering. One of the best in the division imo. His cubans styles great but its pretty flawed in that its not great against certain styles. Mainly guys that dont throw first.

11. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I don't know how old Ortiz is but he looked in fine shape against Wilder in the 2nd fight.
    He's an old man though.
    Would be hilarious if he fought Whyte and beat him, Whyte coming off the back of already being sparked by an old man.

12. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    In Dillian's mind the Povetkin KO loss was no doubt a fluke and those two fights are easy wins against a couple of washed up names that can reel in the mugs and produce several lorryloads of PPV loot, think he might be in for a rude awakening though if either fight happens. The Deluxe Pudding needs to be careful what he wishes for.

Twentyman likes this.
  13. Mitch87

Jul 29, 2018
    His footwork looked poorer than I've seen before as somone else said it look like his feet were glued to the floor so it certianly wasnt the statement peformance i was expecting. That said I still had him winning comfortably on points. I gave Kuzmin only 3 rounds, granted there were 3 other close rounds but i had Bakole edging them.

I would still favour Bakole in a potential fight against quite a lot of the 12 - 25 guys such as Kabayel Chisora, Rivas, Ortiz, Yoka, Dubois, Helenius, Martin and Takam.

14. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Think that’s the case. With any loss you need to get realistic and actually do something different to beat the man in front of you. Take AJ against Ruiz, he knew if he went toe to toe he might lose and so made adjustments and just boxed.

Accept your limitations and come up with a plan to win.

Twentyman and Gatekeeper like this.
  15. Furious

Nov 2, 2017
    Previously, and correct me if I'm wrong, you said that you'd favour Bakole over Wilder?