Oscar Bonavena V David Tua?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Jan 7, 2020.

Who wins?

1. Tua?

54.5%
  2. Bonavena?

45.5%
  1. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I agree.

Part of the reason I think Tua looked so good that night is because Ike was probably throwing far more punches than he needed to be throwing. That gave Tua more opportunities because Ike was always operating fairly close to Tua's ultimate attack range, hence Tua throwing far more punches than we usually saw (including lots of rights, and some focused body assaults).

I'm not sure who would win this hypothetical, but I generally think Tua tends to be one of the most overrated H2H boxers. Ike, too, for that matter.

2. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Tua almost certainly hit harder than Ali, Ellis, and Folley, but I don't think he had the timing any of them had, and I don't believe he was as good at disguising his offense as those 3, either. I'm not saying Tua couldn't get to him, but Tua's biggest problem was always finding ways to deliver his power. Even in many fights he ultimately won he still often had trouble landing, such as Izon, Maskaev, Rahman, Oquendo, and Nicholson to name a few.

3. Curtis Lowe

Curtis Lowe Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Tua also less talented. Tua lost to pretty much every contender he ever fought that wasn't over the hill. Hell, he had to hit Rahman late to win the first fight, and Rahman was very limited. Moorer was way past and going thru the motions when Tua slaughtered him. Tua got spanked by feather fisted Chris Byrd.
    Bovavena wasn't real smooth, but very tricky and tough as nails.

4. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Oscar was just better. I wonder how Tua would have done if he lost weight and learned how to close the ring off better. Oscar had the better corner the other attributes of each fighter are pretty close. Oscar by decision

red cobra likes this.
  5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Who did Oscar beat that Tua wouldn't have?

George Crowcroft likes this.
  6. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    I think this is the most likely scenario as well.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  7. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Bonavena is better boxer and strong enough to handle Tua, he wins by decision

8. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    And the reverse is truth too. A past prime moorer would not beat a prime oscar, ruiz? Nah

9. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Thanks.

10. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007