Oscar De La Hoya is not an ATG.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Amsterdam, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Boris Christoff Full Member

Jan 16, 2005
    On the flipside, Oscar at his best would have defeated all of Floyd's opposition and I don't see Floyd defeating a peak Vargas at 154 or a peak Quartey, Trinidad, Mosely at 147....

Oscar isn't an ATG, but you could never say that about Floyd on here.

I consider Floyd a top 75 ATG, he's always been consistent, but sometimes views can vary back and forth and if Floyd really steps up these last few years, then he can become a top 30 depending, so let's hope he doesn't taint himself.

2. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Yes, Oscar against Floyd's first 37 opponents would have gone 37-0. I'm not so sure Floyd would have gone undefeated if he faced Oscar's opposition.

3. Amsterdam

Jan 16, 2005
    But Floyd's shown great consistency, still has time. I dislike hearing that he is a Top 50 ATG though.

4. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Oscar is a bigger guy than Floyd.

5. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    I don't think he's top 50 either

6. China_hand_Joe

China_hand_Joe Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 21, 2006
    If he had beaten Floyd he wouldn't have been Oscar at all.

7. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    If Calzaghe had been @ 147 or 154 lbs and fought Floyd, he wouldn't have been Joe at all.

8. Amsterdam

Jan 16, 2005
    His resume has gone down as well, because he didn't 'ruin' anybody, but most of his big wins have turned out a little more sour than originally thought through further competition, namely Castillo, Judah, Corrales, Jesus Chavez and so on. And then DLH is just past it and you have your pissy fight vs. Baldomir.

Add to the fact that I thought Castillo beat him first time around and to the fact that the event was what made Castillo overrated as a fighter as well, even though he was an elite by his own right.

If Floyd would have frankly ruined them the night he fought and then they showed immediate degrade after that(Trinidad/Vargas type you know), then that would more applicable, but what ruined Castillo and Corrales were each other and their brutal epic and then Jesus Chavez has been plagued by injury but he's certainly not a phenominal win.

I'll tell you what though, a green Floyd dominating Hernandez is something you can never downgrade....

I hope the kid buckles down and beats his contemporaries, or history is not going to be kind to him.

9. DoumB

DoumB HOYA KO1 PRESSCOT Full Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Hes an ATG, wether some like it or not, if he had receive the victory over Tito(Who he clearly beat) against Mosley the second time around, there would be no questions but since these bogus decisions were made some are still questionning ...and the fact that he LOST to sturm to.... but sturm is a middleweight

10. kaygb

kaygb Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    A lot of boxing people say Oscars career defining fight was his win over Vargas. not so. In the 3 fights before Oscar Vargas had been knocked down 5 times, even knocked down by weak hitting Rivera, wobbled repeatedly in his win against journeyman Shibata flores the he fought Oscar .. and when the fight was stopped even 1 judge had Vargas ahead by 3.
    Oscar stepped up 5 times in his career to fight the very best, the elite.
    AND HE LOST ALL 5. He has never unified.
    ATG ... no. But a damn good fighter.

11. ChampionsForever

ChampionsForever ESB VIP

Dec 3, 2004
  12. Unlimited

Unlimited Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Hopfuly DHL wont be considered an ATG the only reason dat could happen is because so many people like him

13. joito3

joito3 Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    moronic predictions hopkins couldn't knock out hearns ! If anyone gets ko'd in that fight it would be hopkins

14. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Yes he could. Hopkins hits harder than Leonard at middleweight, and he had Hearns all over the place on two seperate occassions during their rematch at super-middleweight. And Hagler KO'd Hearns inside three rounds.

Hopkins hits harder than Leonard, and is on par with Hagler when it comes to power.

If Hearns could not seriously hurt Hagler, the chances are very slim when it comes to denting Hopkins' chin.

Lets not forget, Barkley smashed Hearns into the canvas as well.

We shall never know, but logical evidence clearly supports my judgement.

15. chesh

chesh Active Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    Good post, Amsterdam. Oscar, I think, is good for boxing, but the points you make are accurate. I would just like to add that I had him losing to Trinidad by a point and the Vargas he beat was pretty much damaged goods after Trinidad brutalised him.