Oscar De La Hoya vs Felix Trinidad

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by MrPook, Sep 2, 2017.

1. MrPook

MrPook Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I just watched Oscar De La Hoya vs Felix Trinidad.

Biggest robbery I have ever watched.

De La Hoya won the first 9 rounds I think.

The last 3 could have gone either way.

Overall De La Hoya tooled with Trinidad the whole fight. Trinidad just followed him around.

Also in the whole fight Oscar threw way more punches, landed way more punches, and had a higher percentage that landed.

Oscar De La Hoya also landed the better punches and series of punches. To the head and the body.

Jay1990 likes this.
  2. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Oscar should've won his fights vs Trinidad and Mosley II.

That being said, he clearly lost to Sturm.

His fight vs Sweet Pea should've been a draw IMO

3. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I scored this one a draw...but Oscar gave this away and has no one to blame but himself. His refusal and unwillingness to engage in the later rounds opened himself up for the judges to award Tito this decision

Flash24 likes this.
  4. MrPook

Apr 15, 2007
    **** man. Trinidad was UNABLE to engage for 12 rounds. De La Hoya completely controlled the fight.

Trinidad did not land anything of real significance.

Jay1990 likes this.
  5. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Ahh I see....you don't want differing opinions...you can always revisit this thread topic which has been done here before by the way....apparently the judges, myself and many others do not see this 9-3 domination you speak of

6. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Legendary nights as well as other sources give good feedback on this. While Oscar believed and believes he won he also speaks of fatigue hindering him the final 3 rounds. Both oscar ad his corner felt the fight was in the bag so they adopted the plan to NOT ENGAGE. He admits this was a bad plan and while you can place blame on the corner...Oscar himself says it is his own fault.

Either way you might agree or disagree with this decision but biggest robbery ever....lol, not even close

7. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    A robbery for sure, but I've seen worse.

George Crowcroft and Jay1990 like this.
  8. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Which rounds did you give to Tito?

9. MrPook

Apr 15, 2007
    That's exactly my point. The judges were corrupt.

It was a complete compubox shutout.

During which round/moment did Trinidad ever look spectacular during the fight?

Trinidad was completely lost.

10. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Not sure I have not watched/scored it in a few years.... and don't really have a desire to watch it again. I do know I had it 6-3 and gave Tito the final 3. A shame because I thought Oscar was brilliant in the early stages.

I am not a fan nor a detractor of either guy so I feel unbiased. I do however appreciate both guys. Oscar has had a number of controversial decisions both ways.

I had Oscar over Pea and some disagree.
    Oscar over Floyd 7-5 and some disagree.
    Strum over Oscar.
    Draw in Mosley 2 if I remember correctly.

This was a close fight 7-5 either way is fair. I think one judge had Tito winning by 2 but not sure....I don't see that, but I also don't see 9-3+ for Oscar either.

The fight was a let down, from what I anticipated and that is more disappointing than the decision for me

young griffo likes this.
  11. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    I've scored it a couple times and only gave Tito one or at most two of the first nine rounds. I also thought that Oscar won the Mosley rematch and the Whitaker fight by at least two rounds. I thought that the Quartey fight could have gone either way, depending on how you scored a couple of the close rounds. Gave Mayweather a much tougher fight than he gets credit for. I had Mayweather winning 7-5 but some of the Mayweather rounds were razor close. I could see how someone could've scored it the other way. I need to rewatch it in HD but it seemed to me like Mayweather got a bit too much credit for pitty pat shots that Oscar was picking off or deflecting with his guard.

MrPook and ThePlugInBabies like this.
  12. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    One of the worst robberies I ever seen.
    There is no possible way you can say Felix won. First seven rounds he did nothing.

Jay1990 likes this.
  13. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Don't forget about the robbery of Oscar over Sweet pea ... no way Oscar won

14. Radrook

Radrook Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Tito said that during those rounds he was forcing Oscar to run. :risas3:

15. Radrook

Radrook Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Oscar lost so many close fights that he finally gave up. But part of the reason for his failures was his NEED to please the Mexican fans after the Tito Debacle by fighting in the Mexican way. The criticism he publicly received for having given away those last Rounds to Tito by running were exceedingly brutal.