Oscar De LaHoya vs Tommy Hearns at welter

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Longhhorn71, May 26, 2018.

1. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Oscar De LaHoya vs Tommy Hearns at welter

The Oscar who probably "outboxed" Tito,
    vs The Hearns that k.o.'ed Cuevas.

2. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
  3. Russell

Russell VIP Member banned Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Hoya gets pole axed within 3.

RockyJim likes this.
  4. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Oscar was at his best at 147 lbs. If Randy Shields could last 12 rd then so called ODLH. Hearns on pts.

RockyJim likes this.
  5. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    you may be right. But Oscar could not beat Hearns. Stylewise it is not there for him. If he couldn't deal much with Quartey, he will not be handling Hearns well.

RockyJim likes this.
  6. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Hearns by murder...

7. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    I see it as a jab battle with neither guy really giving the other guy a chance and Delahoya might be swelled by the late rounds and Hearns would get a TKO win. I don't see this as an easy fight for Hearns, just because Oscar had a good jab himself, just not the jab Hearns did, and Oscar would not go at Hearns like most guys who beat him had to.. The guys who beat him were the ones who were willing to take a punch... And Oscar was not a guy who really wanted to, he wanted to jab and counter.

Longhhorn71 likes this.
  8. jont

jont Active Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Oscar lost to Ike but if the fight had been 15 rounds, I think he would have stopped Quartey... I can't stand Oscar but have to give him his due as a great fighter.... seeing him get cut in half by a body shot was very pleasing to the eyes...

Longhhorn71 likes this.
  9. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Delahoya wouldn't be a push over for any fighter. And esp at welter. But Hearns was a class level(or two) higher than Delahoya. Hearns could win this fight pretty much any way he choose. If he decided to play safe and box( not likely at welter) he wins a unanimous dec. If he decided to go for the early Ko. ( more than likely) he'd probably get the KO. But it probably wouldn't be early, but he would batter Delahoya enough for the ref stops contest between 6-10 rds.

Longhhorn71 likes this.
  10. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    I agree it would not be easy for Hearns, but I think he would win. He had speed which was a problem for Oscar with Manny and Floyd.. Oscar usually had a great speed advantage against most guys.

Longhhorn71 likes this.
  11. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Hearns should win this. Quartey’s power and jab made Oscar tentative for large portions of the fight. Hearns had an even better right hand, and a very long fast jab. Hearns didn’t have the best chin so there’s a chance Oscar can catch him with a left hook and finish him afterwards, but it’s a slim one.

Hearns by clear UD.

Longhhorn71 likes this.