Out boxing despite being the smaller man.

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by StussyBrownnn, Dec 23, 2021.

1. StussyBrownnn

StussyBrownnn Member Full Member

Aug 17, 2021
    Ive recently started sparring and ive been most comfortable as an outboxer. Im able to box from the outside despite usually having the shorter reach and height. My coach has taught me that the smaller guy must get close and get inside, I follow him but at the same time i prefer boxing from the outside. I would just like to ask for tips or other ways i can hit without getting hit, and preferably from the outside. Thank you.

2. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I think Martinez did this pretty well against Paul Williams in the first fight

Normally I would move and bait the taller guy to reach and give up their height and counter. Though staying all the way on the outside makes it tough to continue to apply pressure or build momentum off of success. I've never been dwarfed by a sparring partner but have been either slightly shorter or about similar height so I have experience overcoming reach and height but not a large wealth of experience.

Learning to go underneath punches and counter to the body is a good skill to develop

3. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Change it up pal, you'll get found out eventually. Listen to your trainer, learn how to be a capable inside fighter.

4. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    I think this is only possible if the taller lad allows it. If he’s not very good or doesn’t know how to use his advantages properly. If a taller man with a nice stiff jab, timing, feints and footwork is using it I think you have to get inside mate.

Only reason Ruiz beat Joshua is because Joshua fought stupid! You see in the second fight if the taller man knows/chooses to use them advantages the shorter man usually is in for a hard night of rolling, slipping and maybe lunging to get inside. I’m saying this as a tall lad who has some experience but far from lots. Young Tyson gives me the shivers. I think he’d be a nightmare for anyone tall, even ones who use their advantages well.

StussyBrownnn likes this.
  5. captain hook

captain hook Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2011
    see Usyk vs Joshua or Loma against most of his opponents

6. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    If OP was Usyk or Loma with a ton of amateur fights he wouldn’t be on this forum asking advice.

I’d side with listening to his coach, since the coach sees him and probably has a better basis than any of us.

I’d ask the OP this: If you want to do it your way, why even have a coach? If you prefer to do it a certain way and don’t take to teaching, just get a friend to carry a towel and a bucket and go it your way and see how it works.

greynotsoold likes this.
  7. Punch Boxing

Punch Boxing New Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2022
    I have learnt one thing while practicing that use your opponent's energy against him as he will try to take advantage of his height and built.