Over training?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by pichuchu, May 12, 2011.

1. pichuchu

pichuchu Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2011
    I kind have a problem and really need advice. Basicly ive been training 6 days a week, including 3 days boxing gym, 2 days running and satudays running with weight training to retain muscle mass, while trying to eat as little as possible to help me lose weight cuz i HATE being the shorter boxer, reach really pisses me off. Lately ive been feeling weak, not able to run as much with out being dead, sparring i feel weaker and less strong physicly etc. I was wondering what people would recommend? suck it up? Eat more? rest more?.....

2. eat more , rest more , suck it up to an extent

3. gumbo2176

gumbo2176 Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2010
    The phrase "eating as little as possible" is kind of vague not knowing how much that really is. If you could break that down to caloric intake daily, or a glimpse into what kind of foods you are eating and how often, that might give folks a better idea of what you're doing.

As for your training, running, weightlifting, again you are vague in the intensity of your workouts. Going to the boxing gym and hitting the heavy bag, jumping rope, sparring, ab work and shadow boxing a few rounds can be pretty intense depending on how long you're doing it. Running 2 miles a couple days a week is different than running 5 miles in the same time span.
    You'll get better advice if folks on the forum know more detailed info.

That said, from the info I got from your post, you are draining yourself with a lot of activity and too little food to maintain your body.

4. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    This.

This is just dumb. You're not giving your body the fuel it needs to get through the day. What do you expect?

Starving yourself is not the way to lose weight.

5. MrSmall

MrSmall Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Eating as little as possible = as an athlete is the worst thing to do to lose weight.

6. Broxi

Broxi Stand With Ukraine Full Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Read the nutrition sticky, then you wont need an answer to this question.

7. KillSomething

KillSomething Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Eat more and run more. You're not even close to overtraining if you eat a semi-normal diet.

8. furor celtica

furor celtica Creeping Death Full Member

Jun 26, 2010
    i train two hours a day 6 days a week and i'm fine. in order to not overtrain you should vary the intensity of your workouts day to day. for example i train very hard on monday and tuesday (skill, strength training, sprints, jogging, heavy bag, bicycling you name it) and i still train two hours on wednesdays but at a lower rate (shadowboxing, slip bag, slip line, stretching, etc.).
    And eat all the time. Just do more weight loss specific exercises.

9. MrSmall

Jan 2, 2006
    Eat a bit more mate but cut down on junk, and carbs on your off days a little, if you want to lose weight.

If you are trying to lose weight you cannot increase your performance very well, its counter productive.

10. Boxinglad123

Boxinglad123 Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Mr Small. I've been training pretty hard recently, my coach had set up a couple of fights for me at 63kg because I usually sit 64kg. I noticed when I was weighing in I was coming in around 62, so for the last fight I was eating 3000 calories per day, ate 6000 calories the day before the fight and 2500 on the day before the weigh in yet still only weighed in at 62.4kg. Thing is my performance is increasing too so I can't understand how this weight just seems to fall off me. I haven't lifted weights in about a month. I'm 15 years old, any explanation?

11. Gandhi

Gandhi Celtic Full Member

Feb 25, 2011
    there has to be a balance between working out, resting, and your diet.

sounds like you dont have a balance and its obviously having an effect.

Eat more (healthily though not ****) and make sure your getting around 8 hours sleep.

12. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    6000 calories in a day? How the **** do you do that?

13. MrSmall

Jan 2, 2006
    6000 calories is nothing if its a one off in a day. Get a dozen doughnuts from Krispy Kreme, that's close enough. And that's with nothing else.

Your metabolism from training, your training and you being at the peak of your body's growing, 3000 calories a day is probably not enough to gain weight as you've seen. But you feel better for it, so stick to eating more. If you see you are putting on weight, cut it down a bit if you don't want to get bigger. But keep doing what you are doing for now! Remember you need a lot more calories to gain weight than you do to maintain, so if you were undereating you wouldn't necessarily be losing weight, but your performance could be suffering or any other physiological effect rather than scale weight. You could be catabolising muscle for energy even. Your body will try its absolute hardest to maintain a certain weight unless it is pushed to put on weight, its nowhere near as natural for your body to try and shed weight though, its not part of our nature and that's why its always harder for people to get started losing significant weight instead of putting on, unless its done for a long time and there are somewhat dramatic changes to your lifestyle and diet.
    There is no real correlation to how much you've eaten calorie wise and weighins though. You can have 6000 calories from dense heavy low calorie foods, or you can have a dozen doughnuts that weigh probably 400grams or less, you know what I mean?
    Only if you do it consistently will these calories not used be stored as fat weight, but that won't happen from one day to the next, but you will feel better performance wise for having all that food in your body. A lot of athletes do this. They load up on food the days before competition if they can afford it with their weighin (or don't have a weighin), or load up on food after their weighin.

14. pichuchu

pichuchu Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Training= mondays, wednesdays, fridays= skipping 10 mins, shadowboxing 4 three min rounds, 4 rounds on heavy bag, 4 rounds on speed ball, for 3 mins each. Pads with trainer and sparring averagly on 2 of those days.
    tuesdays, thursdays= run (no idea how far, but for apox 45 mins)
    sat= 1 hour run, and full body work out to no lose to much musclemass
    sunday rest

15. gumbo2176

gumbo2176 Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Easy, he's 15. Have you not seen what a 15 yr. male can eat??? I have, since I've raised a couple of them over the years. They can be bottomless pits when it comes to food, especially food they like. Add to that the fact the young man is working out pretty heavily for 6 days a week and you have a food devouring machine on your hands. Like I told my wife as the kids were in their teens---"I'd rather clothe them than feed them, much cheaper!!"

It's not that hard to eat 6000 calories in a day depending on what is eaten just as MrSmall has pointed out.