OVERALL: Who's a better boxer, Dmitry Bivol or Terence Crawford?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Boxingiq2020, May 7, 2023.

OVERALL: Who's a better boxer, Dmitry Bivol or Terence Crawford?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2023.
  1. Dmitry Bivol

70.1%
  2. Terence Crawford

29.9%
  1. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Never disliked him but I resented him for a long time for beating Hagler

bjl12 and ElCyclon like this.
  2. MURK20

MURK20 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2008
    His fundamentals are great but there is nothing dynamic or eye popping. Just seeing him having an easy time with a bunch of bums and mediocre fighters. Luckily he's in a weak division because it would be difficult for him to stand out in a deeper division.

bjl12 likes this.
  3. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Er. has not been a weak division during Bivol's tenure at the weight. For starters, Kovalev, Beterbiev, Gvozdyk and Bivol campaigned there all of whom are or were ranked in the P4P top 10 or just outside it with Gvozdyk. You can make the argument they didn't face each other but you can say the same about a supposedly ''strong division'' 147. I mean Terry and Spence have been playing the barking dogs either side of the gate game forever.

Bivol schooled the P4P#1 and an ATG Clenelo in his adopted backyard and if you're going to argue Clenelo had come up in weight then you have to hold Spence to the same standard who there's nothing dynamic or eye popping about. He's been on mission clean out 147 of damn near all its career 140 pounders for ages now, most of them featherfists or average punchers at best.

He's literally only fought one career 147 pounder world champion who was a champion at 147 since winning his first world title six years ago and only 2 in total his entire career and he went life and death against both (prior to the eye injury against Brook)

bjl12 likes this.
  4. MURK20

Sep 26, 2008
    The LHW division is bad. None of those dudes are relevant besides Beterbiev and Bivol. Not sure why would you even bring up Kovalev and Gvozdyk. Pity that the Crawford/Spence fight hasn't happened but that wasn't my point. The WW and LW divisions are the hottest right now. A person with Bivol's skillset and talent would not stand out from Crawford's, Spence's, Boot's and Ortiz. Or, Haney, Loma, Martin, Davis's (Tank or Keyshawn.)

Canelo was a good win for Bivol imo, I'm not a hater but any American star would not get as much credit for having his best win coming from a fighter who began his career 4 divisions lower whose previous loss came from a man who was actually smaller.

bjl12 and deadACE like this.
  5. BoxingViewer

BoxingViewer Active Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Bivol the stats speak for themselves

6. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    They're relevant because they campaigned at 175 at the same time as Bivol. The fact they didn't all fight makes no difference because the exact same thing has been happening at 147 for ages too. Spence and Terry haven't only been ducking each other forever they don't want no smoke with the young lions Super Boots, Ortiz and Stan.

Clenelo was a great win for Bivol and Clenelo turned pro when he was 15 y/o and still growing. He's a natural 168 pound Tank of a man now with devastating bone rearranging and breaking power not a featherfist who can't crack an egg, an elite skill set, and a titanium chin and the weight and reach difference between them was 3-5lbs max and 1.5'' because Bivol is a small LHW and is routinely facing bigger and heavier opponents at 175 sans Clenelo.

He weighed 183 against Clenelo, Zurdo came in as high as 204lbs for his previous fight.

And the 160-175 version of Clenelo is much better and more formidable than the one who campaigned at 154.

Er. ''American star'' Haney has literally never beaten any world champion close to his own size. He's way bigger and heavier than all of the ones he's fought.

Shakur has beaten a whopping 2 world champions, the bang average Herring who couldn't even hang at below world level at 135, and Valdez who looked way smaller than him, clearly lost his previous fight, and has been involved in like half a dozen life and death struggles or tough fights were he has been hurt or dropped, but CBS had Shakur ranked above Usyk P4P

Many of those fighters you mentioned haven't done **** yet, let alone been within sniffing range of an elite fighter like Clenelo. It's insulting to even mention their names alongside Bivol right now.

7. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    He did not win they robbed Marvin of the the title. Can’t lie I hated him with a passion for years.

8. MURK20

Sep 26, 2008
    It's so bizarre reading comments on how tiny Bivol and Loma are but hearing how Spence and Crawford are behemoths at in their weight classes. I'd say a 6' is a good height for a LHW and Bivol isn't small framed.

Canelo is not a natural 168lb tank of a man. That is precisely what you all nicknamed him Clenelo. He's 5'8' in high heels.
    "And the 160-175 version of Clenelo is much better and more formidable than the one who campaigned at 154." Who can he hold his head up about beating from 160-175? You guys give him hell about his record against GGG. Who else? An alcoholic Kovalev, who submitted to Ward? If he would have faced Jermall or Andrade when they were begging for a chance and beat them, there would be nothing to say.

Bivol's best win is from a blown up natural 154 pounder who looked great against soft competition. Put Canelo in there againt Spinks, Foster, Jones, so many to name. He would get the beating of his career. He most likely would have stayed where he belongs.

9. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    It's bizarre reading the comments of people who don't grasp the fact they're called weight divisions not height divisions

Bivol isn't tiny. He's a small LHW. Loma, however, is tiny for 135. When you're routinely facing opponents who outweigh you by close to 2, 2 or even 3 divisions and giving away close to 6'' in reach a lot of the time as Loma is you're tiny for the division

Bivol is regularly fighting opponents who weigh at least 1 division more than him

How many times have Terry, Spence, Haney etc. been outweighed by even 1 division, let alone 2 or 3 and been giving away almost 6'' in reach? Exactly.

Crawford was gigantic for 135, very big for 140 and is roughly fighting opponents his size at 147.

Case in point

He weighed more against Gamboa at 135 than career 140 Postol did against him at 140, and more against career 147 Horn than Horn did against him at 147

Hence why his HBO 2 Days doc was primarily about how difficult it was for him to make weight

This content is protected

He's been rehydrating 15-18lbs in every division he's campaigned in, Loma and Bivol weren't rehydrating that much or near that that much in their first ones.

Spence is a big guy too but I'm more alluding to him clearing out 147 of all its career 140 pounders and having only fought 2 career 147 pounder world champions in his entire career. He gets a lot of credit for doing that and he's currently ranked #4 p4p and Terry #3.

Now Haney is a freaking behemoth.

Clenelo is a natural 168 pounder now, regardless if he took PEDs or not he is super strong at that weight and comes in about 178-180.

I guess Anthony Dirrell is a HW because he's taller than Mike Tyson?

This ''blown up 154 pounder'' is caving in the faces, noses and detaching the biceps of tough guys like Juan Ryder, BJS 2.0 and giant SMWs like Callum Smith, the first two with single shots, none of whom had ever been floored or with the later two never stopped. Spence is beating up on career 140 pounder ATG feathefists and light hitters like Algieri and Peterson and he's been hurt numerous times already :lol:

We can all play the discrediting a fighter's opposition game but few are as good as it as me :lol:

Clenelo would get arrested for legal homicide against Jermallo. The fact people actually think he's scared of facing or is ducking him is comical beyond words

10. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    I've not watched that fight in a long time but I've watched it many many times. I'd be interested to score it again someday to see how I'd have it now

11. MURK20

Sep 26, 2008
    Andre Ward, Roy Jones Jr were about the same size as Bivol. So should they get brownie points for beating larger men?

Tank’s gives up the height and weight advantage on almost all of his fights but his fans aren’t worried about him like Lomachenko’s.

How many of these bigger fighters that Bivol faced are world beaters? He was supposed to beat those guys any other results would have been upsets.

Not sure where you found Crawford’s unofficial weigh-ins but is 5’8” waking up in the morning and rail thin frame. He hardly had any muscle definition sub 147. He could have definitely stayed at 140 but there were no more good fights for him there and he moved up.

Spence may be a decent sized WW but the JMW division has some big dudes.

Isn’t Haney around the same size as Ryan Garcia? Good size, behemoth? No. He’s only 24. Plus he’ll be moving up in weight after his fight Loma.

I don’t believe that Canelo is scared of any one but his team sure didn’t want to take the risk of fighting Charlo or Andrade. That’s why they’re quick to sign up to fight those tough guy, punching bags that you named. Free lunch.

12. Serge

Jul 21, 2009

No, career 168 pounder Andre Ward weighed more at 175 than Bivol ever has. He weighed 186 against Barrera which was his official LHW debut, Bivol weighed 183 for his second to last fight which was his 2oth at the weight

And yes, you should get ''brownie points'' for beating bigger opponents.

Just like you shouldn't get credit for beating ones your size or bigger when you're fighting smaller or much smaller ones

I have spent a lot of time researching fight night weights

Loma is routinely outweighed by close to 2, 2 or 3 divisions and giving away almost 6'' in reach a lot of the time. Twink is short but he's thick-set and powerful and he weighed more at 130 than Loma does at 135 and a whole division more at 135. He's never outweighed by close to 2, 2 or 3 divisions and when he has fought bigger men he's slapped a rehydration clause on them which is something Loma has never done despite giving away way more weight than Twink ever has against them.

Haney comes into the ring at 155 bare minimum but it was as high as 157-159 according to Mauricio. That's at least 3 divisions more than Loma and he has a near 6'' reach advantage on Loma.

Barrios said he never came in above 152 at 140 and he has a 3.5'' reach advantage on Twink

That's like 5-6lbs heavier than Twink. That's child's play for Loma.

Ryan weighed 148lbs for his previous fight to facing Twink and has a 2.5'' reach advantage on Twink, that's only like 2lbs more than Twink if that

Twink

“I mean, it’s just making sure everything’s fair,” Davis said. “You know what I mean? I know that he’s a bigger fighter. He already has the advantage off the height, the size, the arm length, like everything, he has the most advantage. So, I’m just making it a little fair. You know what I mean? Just everybody stay the same. And, I mean, it ain’t like he gotta go [to a second weigh-in] and I don’t have to go. We both have to go. You know what I mean?”

Well, Loma has never done that despite routinely giving away much more weight and reach than Twink was

The difference in weight in the ring between Haney and Loma judging from their previous fight night weights is the same as it is between GGG and Haney only difference is Haney has a longer reach than GGG.

Ryan 148 at 140, Haney 155-159 at 135.

Here's Terry weighing in the ''60s-70s'' so at least 12st

Look at how ridiculously lean he looks. He looks in fighting shape. Hard to believe someone that lean weighing that much ever campaigned down at 135.

Again, I'm going on fight night weights. He's often had a weight advantage or a big or significant one and and rarely been at a significant weight disadvantage. He's also never been at a reach disadvantage in any of his world title fights either

Here's Spence arguing (playfully) with Jermello about which of them is bigger. They look the same size but I've never claimed Spence is rehydrating a ton of weight like Haney or even as much as Terry was.

Like I said, we can all play the discredit a fighter's resume and opponents game. It's a boomerang

You can make a good argument that Clenelo ducked Boo Boo but not that he ducked Jermallo. He'd beat the crap out of him.

Jermallo needed a gift from his three home judges to get past a well past prime inactive Korobov who hadn't fought anyone in 4 years and Jermallo has only stopped 1 of his last 5 opponents at 160 even though all but one of them had been stopped before and he's never fought a world class legit banger yet either. Good fighter but he's not on that level.

You think he was taking the easier option by facing career LHWs Bivol and Kovalev as opposed to Jermallo? Even that version of Kovalev who fought Clenelo would spark Jermallo out and Bivol would whoop his ass too. Callum Smith would beat Jermallo. Juan Ryder, BJS 2.0 and Caleb Plant would be no worse than 50-50 fights. Jermallo has never even fought at SMW let alone LHW.

Gui Dosnera and SpeedKills like this.
  13. Slyk

Slyk Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Bivol, easily. Crawford as a p4p #1 is a myth, a what if, and pure speculation. You have to get in there and show you're the best to be considered the best. I made a thread years ago about how he's basically a prospect among the very elite. Still is.

14. Joeywill

Joeywill Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2021
    Obviously Crawford unless you mean boxer in the purist hit and don't get hit terms

15. hoopsman

hoopsman Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Crawford, I believe, is the more physically talented boxer.

Bivol's work is sharp and consistent, but I don't find myself imagining how he'd fare against the best at his weight all-time like I do with Crawford, if that makes any sense.

(Not certain that Bivol even beats a prime Gvodzyk, and I sincerely doubt he beats prime Kovalev).

Silver and Joeywill like this.