Overeem and Jr Dos Santos getting cut from UFC

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by shanemfr, Mar 3, 2021.

1. shanemfr

shanemfr Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 29, 2004
    In a few of the MMA news sites, both removed from the rankings but not officially announced.
    Not suprised though they have looked very average lately and on big money per fight.

Both of them tend to turtle up or run with no defence as soon as they get hit like they just don't want to be there if the opponent doesn't roll over for them.

Ph33rknot and Suspect.chin like this.
  2. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Both guys lose a lot and are inconsistent but can just as easily beat a top guy on a good night. It's not a good look for the credibility of the division. So there's that, cutting costs and the fact that they prob have some big plans for/are looking to rebuild the HW division. I'm sad to see both gone. There's a lot less worthy heavyweights and fighters in general who could have been axed instead.

Ph33rknot and shanemfr like this.
  3. BoxingDialogue

BoxingDialogue Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2019
    Overeem has been knocked out 18 times...WTF

Badbot and Suspect.chin like this.
  4. shanemfr

shanemfr Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 29, 2004
    I thought maybe they might hang onto Reem, but he also was getting big dollars. I was then thinking so why does Arlovski keep his job even when he is on losses.
    Maybe they go off fighting spirit. Andrei even when hit just bites down and fires back with no quit. and go out on his sword.
    The last few when Santos even gets touched on the chin he literally starts running with hands up like he is being assaulted and is calling for help.
    Reem did similar the last fight so maybe they seen they can't sell these guys or have them being promoted as heavyweight monsters on big cash with them actions knowing they no longer have the instinct to be challengers.
    I used to look forward to cards with either of them on it knowing there would be action. They are just shells now. Hope they carry on as trainers or something, they both have always come across as respectful guys.

5. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    Can’t complain with them cutting JDS, he’s been KO’d 4 times in a row. In each fight the second he gets tagged he looks helpless. The Overeem move is a bit strange though, yeah he has a tendency to get KO’d but until recently he was a consistently winning fighter. He’s still capable of being a mid-tier HW for a couple more years. I wonder if they were just trying dump his salary as he is notably one of the highest paid fighters in the UFC.

6. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Oldreem and Senior Dos Santos ... :ghost::ghost:

7. MetalLicker

MetalLicker Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Exactly. Both are old fighters and they need to retire.

Ph33rknot and BCS8 like this.
  8. mirkofilipovic

mirkofilipovic ESB Management Full Member

Jan 7, 2014
    At one point these two fighters were legends. Dos Santos has a victory over a younger Miocic and a Prime Cain Velasquez, and Overeem has a pretty loaded resume and fight career against All time greats.

Badbot and BCS8 like this.
  9. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    And he kept beating top(-ish) guys. It´s insane.
    Well, the heavyweight division in the UFC is ****, but he still did really well considering his age and the fact that his chin is completely gone.

BCS8 and mirkofilipovic like this.