Overtraining

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Gavin, Sep 22, 2010.

1. lefty

lefty Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Overtraining can be psychological and/or physiological. He's not going to gain intrinsic motivation to box if he's forcing himself to do it. When you love something you want to do it, that's intrinsic motivation. If he's doing it for something other than the love of doing it then that's extrinsic motivation and he'll most likely not get the best out of himself and give up completely at some point sooner rather than later. He needs to vary the intensity of his workouts, the volume and get some quality rest to break up the monotony. That's what's going to keep him motivated, not 'toughing' it out or trying harder. That's stupid ass old school bollocks.

To the TS- have a good rest and forget about boxing, if you're not enjoying it you're not going to do well. When you get back to the gym pace yourself and work on different things, vary your workouts and keep it interesting. Get sleep and eat well, it'll push you towards overtraining if you're not getting quality in those areas. Yes, mental fatigue can be a sign that you are starting to overtrain. Listen to your body and be honest with yourself.

2. marciano22

marciano22 Member Full Member

Nov 29, 2009
    What do you mean by that ?

When amateur athlets say they overtrained it can mean anything from being lazy, tired, bored to injured or rarely overtrained. So we have to distinguish between tiredness, burnout syndrome and actuall overtraining.

OT is a physiological brakedown. I only heard of one case that happened near me and the guy was a bit of a mental case. I think that around 90 % of OT syndrome suspects can be accounted to tiredness.

3. wayneflint

wayneflint Active Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2010
    This, its too easy to burn out even when doing somthing you love, i used to love weight training but i just plain and simple burnt out my desire to continue by not taking breaks and thinking it would mean the end of the world to have a week off training, people talk a lot about consistency but you will do better to be consistant in the long run by having breaks but training over 8 years than in the short run by having no breaks whatsoever and then quiting in 2 years because its becoming like a chore.

4. lefty

Apr 29, 2006
    Well you are just guessing, no single marker can indicate overtraining. Overtraining is a complicated issue and people can reach that stage with different amounts of activity, some people are going to reach that stage alot more easily than others. Overtraining is when you are going backwards while training. If you are mentally fatigued or not getting adequate nutrition then it can easily happen. It's not a disease, it's just you putting too much stress on your body without allowing adequate recovery. Overtraining occasionally is okay when you push yourself to that point and then pull back to super compensate. It's especially easy for an amateur athlete to overtrain if they do alot of cardio and they are not knowledgable about nutrition or about paying attention to their body. People seem to think you have to be a pro athlete to overtrain, in reality they are less likely to overtrain as they understand their bodies better and tend to have knowledgable people around them.

5. marciano22

marciano22 Member Full Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Yes it can, i don't know the exact name of the test, but the levels of certain hormones are not restored after workout.

true , but that still does not mean it's easy :)

I think it can go both ways here as pro athlets have the right mindset to push themselves to the limit. Amateurs too but pros are doing it on regular basis. Off course i'm ready to change my mind if you are able to provide a study that proves the opposite. :p

I agree with the rest :roll:

Anyway, i think this is turning more into a terminological debate than anything else.

6. Gavin

Gavin Member Full Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Will do man cos I usually love going training, so starting to think it must overtraining. When I go training when I feel like this, at best I just go through the motions physically on the bags etc.

7. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    You aren't overtraining, you're just being lazy. That or you just don't want to box anymore. Overtraining is an excuse that is used way too much "I feel tired, I must be over training" "I don't want to train, I must be over training" "I can't sleep, I must be over training". 99% of the time, no.

What do you eat on an average day?

8. Gavin

Gavin Member Full Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Went training tonight and I felt fine after the past week's rest, didn't try to kill myself when I was tired on the bags either so most likely it was overtraining. Can't really think Virus, but not a lot of junk food and I drink rarely so I'd say its a generally healthy diet.

9. freesix88

freesix88 Member Full Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I really think it's hard to over train when you sleep and eat enough.

I love it when skinny dudes (weight lifting) talking about overtraining, maybe they are confused with undertraining? lmao. Most of the times it's all in the mind, lack of motivation for example.

10. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    I think it's rather easy actually, all it takes is a few hours of exercise a day.

11. lefty

Apr 29, 2006
    Maybe they are skinny because they do aerobic work aswell? If you do alot of aerobic work it's quite easy to overtrain.

12. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I agree with this. Nutrition is a huge factor in overtraining. People just don't eat enough when they train.

13. Primadonna Kool

Primadonna Kool Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Overtaining can lead to Chronic Fatigue, and this is a serious condition.

Serious like a heart attack.............Trushhhht.

It's not about how hard you train, but how smart you train.

14. Gavin

Gavin Member Full Member

Dec 18, 2007
    First time posting on this forum in 11 years tonight and looking through old posts lol

And yeah it was over training, which I'm sure you meant with 'wE'vE aLrEaDy eStAbLiSheD wHaT cAteGoRy YoU'rE iN'

Snideness gets you nowhere buddy

15. Gavin

Gavin Member Full Member

Dec 18, 2007
    'you're just being lazy'

Bro I posted this in 2010 and I literally look the same age now as I did back then, if that's from being 'lazy' may I remain 'lazy' for a long time :afro: