P4P Greb or Langford?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Kamikaze, Apr 25, 2021.

Well?

1. Sam

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. Harry

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  1. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    They are my #3 and #5.

2. apollack

apollack Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Langford was the better fighter overall. He could punch hard enough to knock out anyone. Greb could not. Let's say they both fought. I could see one fight in which Greb would win a decision, outhustling Langford, and I could see a rematch in which Langford knocks him out. I'd prefer to be the guy administering the knockout rather than the guy winning the decision. If they both fought the same guys, I could see Greb winning more often than Langford, by decision, but I think Langford would knock more of them out, and more of them out in rematches even if he lost a decision. Whereas Greb can only win via decision, though he might lose less often. I also think Langford could do better with the really big powerful men, more so than Greb, who was naturally less thick and strong. But then again Greb seemed to do well with everyone, regardless of size or style. Langford had a tendency to get outboxed by taller longer guys on occasion (though he fought even bigger men than Greb did - and could knock them out). So I guess take what you like.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  3. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I agree with the above but let's not under sell Greb's potential for administering punishment, even against larger opponents. What he did to Tunney in their first fight is legendary. And I believe he had Brennan hurt and ready to go twice in their fights.

On the converse, how Greb avoided getting KO'd essentially ever is what perplexes me most about him. Without footage, I just can't imagine a fighter so active and busy not getting lit up at least once in 300 or so fights against so much top opposition (excepting of course his early loss to Chip).

4. Indefatigable

Indefatigable Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2021
    Great prose.

apollack likes this.
  5. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    They are my two favorite boxers, with Joe "The Barbados Demon" Walcott number three.

Gotta go with Langford. He could knock your ass out, whereas Greb out hustled you. In a close fight I'll take the guy
    with the power.

apollack likes this.
  6. apollack

apollack Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Let's just put it this way, if you asked folks from that era, who had seen both, to give their nonracially biased viewpoints, they would say that Langford was the better pound for pound fighter. They likely also would pick Langford to beat Greb. But then again, a lot of folks underestimated and underappreciated Greb.

7. Jpreisser

Jpreisser Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Are there any reports on that? The only one I ever recall coming across (to be frank, I never looked hard) was a poster here or over at the Boxrec forums who stated that this hypothetical matchup was proposed to Nat Fleischer in an old Ring magazine. Fleischer responded by saying that Langford would not be able to catch up to Greb. I guess Nat believed Harry was simply too quick of hand and foot. I cannot recall what issue this may have been, however, so do not take my word for it.

8. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    We're talking two all time exceptional fighters .. I favor Langford and feel the distinction would be even clearer if Sam stayed between 160 and 175 but didn't because he simply could not get the fights against the top men ..

LoadedGlove likes this.
  9. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Both have incredible records.
    The thing that puts Langford above Greb for me is the fact that there is no footage whatsoever of a Greb fight, just sparring, so it's very hard to gauge how he boxed.

BCS8 likes this.
  10. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Two of the greatest, I think that Greb's resume and consistency is a bit better overall but Langford's P4P accomplishements are overwordly.

As shame that we can only watch one of them fighting. Langford looks absolutely spectacular in fights we have, he wasn't one dimensional puncher at all.

BCS8 likes this.
  11. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Langford was only really a Middleweight, yet so rattled Jack Johnson when they fought that Johnson, once he became Champion, wouldn't hear of Sam as a challenger.