Pacquiao-Matthysse Was A Dope Fight...

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Pakkuman, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    This content is protected

Lucas looked good. His punches were sharp and he circled the ring well. His mistake was trying to box Pacquiao. Should have gone to war with the Senator.

2. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    That was really the best version of both fighters that I've ever seen. You don't often see that in this sport, but, when you do, it's magical.

3. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Lucas was semi-shot physically and just plain shot mentally.

4. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Oh, come on. You're just saying that to be a contrarian, at this point, because the first two posts are the polar opposite, literally. Admit it.

pacas, George Crowcroft and Serge like this.
  5. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    :lol: OK you got me

Boxed Ears and Dance84 like this.
  6. Pakkuman

Jun 26, 2019
    Nah, if you watch the fight, Matthysse actually looked great. His speed and reflexes were good and he was calculated in his attack whereas he just wanted to overpower guys before. Matthysse just couldn't outbox Pacquiao.

pacas likes this.
  7. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Matthysse had his prime at 140

Most of his talent got wasted after a bad decision against Alexander sidelined him

He has had eye issues for a while which he has managed to avoid

after taking some punishment from Garcia that was it, career over. exacerbated that damage which Pacquiao worked on.

Lucky to have got a Pacquiao payday.

Most guys who have had a long sports careers normally have knee/ankle/shoulder issues that stop their career. Haye was finished physically after he beat Chisora that's why he didn't fight Fury. Pacquiao has repeat injuries he is nursing but he's doing damn good for a 40 year old with such wear and tear. Thurman is much finished physically also, he won't go near Crawford or Spence they will stop him.

Keep an eye on AJ, his knees are going already.

Wilder has shoulder and hands issues

Fury has hand and ankle issues.

Floyd pretty much changed his entire approach following his hand injuries. Very smart fighter.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  8. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    He turned boxer after Molina beat the crap out of him.
    You could see that Matthysse did not like to take heavy punches when he faced Provodnikov. Of course the Siberian was a damn monster, but still, there was a shift in Matthysses mental game.

The guy was an absolute warrior at one point, but he got the fight beaten out of him.

Matthysse was 35 when he faced Manny. And it showed.

Serge likes this.
  9. Badbot

Apr 17, 2011
    :lol: Good to see you not trolling for once. And spot on there.

I am still surprised that Wilder can throw full force with that right hand. Credit to him for that.
    Manny is a freak, his work ethic is unreal and this is why he can still go on.

Shout out to Sergio Martinez who did more physical rehab than boxing training. Chavez Jr. really did a number on him and it was all downhill from there. He should not have rushed back in there vs Murray.

pacas likes this.
  10. Pakkuman

Jun 26, 2019
    WTF are you talking about? Matthysse went to war w/ Provodnikov, which was after Molina. Then Matthysse tried to go to war with Postol, but couldn't get past the reach/height hurdle. Next, he KO'd Emmanuel Taylor, who had never been stopped, and then a Thai bum.

And no, it didn't show. Matthysse looked rejuvenated. Light on his feet, fast with his hands (though never having possessed great handspeed, a shot fighter would look slow, which he didn't). Pacquiao was a shot at redemption and a career high pay day. Dude was motivated.

11. Badbot

Apr 17, 2011
    Stronly disagree there.
    I saw a shift in his mentality. Yes, he went to war with Provodnikov, but to my eyes, Matthysse did not want to be in one.
    Matthysse might have been motivated, but he was also 35. I think his isssues were more mental than physical.(Naturally, his punch resistance wasn´t what it used to be, but that is a given)

Matthysse was past his peak, physically and more so mentally. It´s why he is the only guy Manny has stopped in the last 10 years.
    At that point, motivation alone won´t be enough.

Serge likes this.
  12. KeedCubano

KeedCubano Read my posts in a Jamaican accent Full Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Twas a war worthy of both combatants.

13. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Nope. Lucas' hunger had been destroyed from a combination of being robbed and stitched up on foreign soil against Alexander, Judah and Garcia and all the wars he'd been involved in.

Prior to facing Postol three of his previous four fights were brutal wars of the ages against legit KO punchers in Molina, Garcia and Ruslan and he sustained a lot of damage in those fights and they look a lot out of him. I even wrote a post shortly before the Ruslan fight about how sickened I was that a world title wasn't on the line because I felt that there was a good chance that not only wouldn't the loser be the same afterwards but that the winner might never be the same too considering all the wars they'd been involved in and all the hard punchers they'd fought.

Lucas wasn't only a fearless road warrior in his prime, he was a fearless warrior with a capital F and W who wouldn't have known how to spell no mas, let alone pull one and his heart was simply no longer in the game when he fought Postol and Manny and I've been saying this since back then.

He's essentially always been a very shy person and a loner and I don't think he ever felt truly comfortable travelling over to the US fighting on a stage of that magnitude under the bright lights and I'm sure having been robbed over there numerous times and stitiched up against the Six-toed Lego hair freak took its toll on his desire and hunger too. We're talking about a guy who used to cry in his post-fight interviews for goodness sake.

northpaw, Badbot and Pakkuman like this.
  14. Badbot

Apr 17, 2011
    Mhh, that was just beautifully said.
    The sad reality of Matthysses career.

George Crowcroft and Serge like this.
  15. Pakkuman

Jun 26, 2019
    Nah, he was more motivated and focused than ever. He was rejuvenated mentally and he trained like never before when he got the Manny fight. Like I said, shot fighters look shot. Matthysse was showing excellent form in the ring against Manny. Nimble, light on his feet, threw with calculation and authority (as opposed to trying to bulldoze through his opponent). Matthysse spammed his jab like Nigerian emails. Watch the fight. He looked good. Like a rejuvenated Donaire against Inoue.

The only thing was Matthysse being star struck. He was talking about how he and his family loved and respected Pacquiao and he got gloves signed for himself and his family before the fight.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Serge likes this.