Pacquiao VS Thurman: A Technical Summary

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jul 18, 2019.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    How do fans feel this study compares to Fouts study? Fouts picked Manny to win and this vid chooses Thurman:

2. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    I don't know why anyone rates Thurman's footwork. It's terrible.

He's a good counterpuncher, at long and close range, with power and that's what gets him through.

But his footwork is simply running, the way he retreats side to side, he looks stiff and squared up, and is very open to that lunging left hand. He doesn't control the distance with it either, he simply runs with it. Footwork is suppose to place you back in an advantageous position to counter. Thurman's footwork is simply a matter of retreat. The rest of it is, stay on the outside, lunge in, get out, which is fine but nothing great. It just so happens that whether it's from the outside, or the inside, he has the advantage. That's only because the best he's fought are B level fighters at best.

My biggest worry is his counterpunch, Pac likes to duck after all his punches and Thurman likes to counter with a lower left hook or uppercut. I also agree with the danger of the overhand right, but I'm pretty sure Buboy and Roach has studied that.

Thanos, roughdiamond and mark ant like this.
  3. Anima

Anima Kinetic Link Full Member

Nov 12, 2010
    He forgot a lot of important parts.

Pacquiao is an underrated counter puncher.
    Also feints.

Thanos, kiwi_boxer and mark ant like this.
  4. dangerousity

Jan 4, 2005
    Well the most important factor is speed.

Thats what the "technical" summary forgot. And thats huge, because if both fighters are trying to land a straight, one of them will land first and it'll be the faster guy. And Thurman likes to counter, Pac will feint, Thurman will counter, and then open himself up to a combination.

Thurman is probably going to get stopped, that or he runs for his life all night. Can't stop a guy in survival mode.

mark ant likes this.
  5. JabCross727

JabCross727 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 14, 2008
    We will just have to tune on Saturday night and see how this story plays out. I am hoping Manny can pull it out.

6. Bogotazo

Bogotazo Amateur Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Was Marquez faster than Pac? No. But he landed straight punches through Pac's right hook counter. Timing and the trajectory of the punch matters.

KO KIDD and Pimp C like this.
  7. Anima

Nov 12, 2010
    Speed was touched, video highlighted pac's burst speeds and speed of punches, which type lands faster.

Thanos and Bogotazo like this.
  8. Bogotazo

Oct 17, 2009
    I agree his footwork could definitely improve, but his movement is definitely a key to his success. Without it the Garcia fight would have looked totally different, same with Porter. Controlling that distance on the outside is more than half the battle.

KO KIDD likes this.
  9. dangerousity

Jan 4, 2005
    Garcia is extremely slow and is a B- level fighter at best and so Thurman other qualities controlled that fight. He couldn’t control porter, he beat porter with counter punching not footwork, he couldn’t get away from the man or turn him.

And no point comparing Thurman to JMM, JMM has far better timing, much more compact punches, much sharper, much straighter and textbook. Also much tougher chin and better recovery so he could afford to trade with Pac cos lord lnowns JMM needed good recovery powers for those wars with Pac.

Thurman looks like a caveman next to him. It’s levels at play here. JMM is a solid A level fighter, Thurman is a B level at best. Which isn’t bad, very few A level guys out there and that’s usually HOF category.

10. Bogotazo

Oct 17, 2009
    Fair points on Porter but footwork is a part of how he set up his counter-punching. Otherwise he would have fought the whole fight on the inside at lost. But yes, he could improve how he turns a fighter.

I'm comparing Marquez's speed to Thurman's in relation to Pacquiao, not comparing their entire styles. Marquez also fought a much better Manny. Point is, Manny being faster doesn't automatically win him the exchanges.

KO KIDD likes this.
  11. dangerousity

Jan 4, 2005
    He fought a lot of the fight on the inside because he had no choice. And when he countered Porter going back, it wasn't because of good positioning or footwork like someone like Loma, Floyd or even Pac would do, he's simply damm good at counterpunching at awkward positions. The guy could be backpedalling, out of balance and still manage to throw a left-hook-uppercut hybrid that lands. He's a good counterpuncher, but I don't see the apparent great footwork he himself keeps going on about.

We will have to wait and see but I believe in this instance, Speed will be key and Thurman will be losing a lot of exchanges because of it. He's not as sharp or compact as JMM. If anything, I'd liken him more to Miguel Cotto and we know what happened in those exchanges.

12. thesmokingm

thesmokingm Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Thurman is gonna have a rude awakening and then realize he shouldn't have said all that stupid ****.

Bustajay and Paranoid Android like this.
  13. Anima

Nov 12, 2010
    That's part of promotion, its ticking people off even though its cringy at times soo its working. Lol

14. Bogotazo

Oct 17, 2009
    I think this is a fair assessment. His movement when not engaging is good but circling and controlling the center needs work.

The difference for me is that Thurman is a much better athlete and probably a better counter puncher. Cotto is more skilled overall but was definitely slower than thurman.

15. titanic

titanic Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Danny Garcia was Flat footed while Shawn Porter was all over the place throwing wild punches with less accuracy.
    Pacman beats both of them in the same evening....