PBC 30 March 2024

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by rezzer, Mar 20, 2024.

1. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    https://www.express.co.uk/sport/boxing/1091387/DeGale-vs-Eubank-Jr-prize-money-fight-purse

Crazy!!! ITV stupidly saw AJ doing mega numbers on PPV and thought it was easy as just putting a fight together and then watch the money roll in.

Sonny1 likes this.
  2. Beale

Beale Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 13, 2023
  3. liger1992

Mar 29, 2015
    I dont think it is. If that report is true then 100k streamed the AJ v Francis fight in the UK. The fight would have easily sold much more than that on PPV.

I agree its only going to get worse and there is no way to combat it but the big PPV fights will still do huge PPV buys as the casual fan hooked in isnt someone who is bothered about finding illegal streams.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2023/07/27/comcasts-sky-continuing-to-lose-subscribers/

If you look at those subscription numbers there is still a huge subscription base Sky has to sell PPV's too.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  4. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
  5. liger1992

Mar 29, 2015
    Eubank has to be the greatest fighter without any real significant wins but has managed to earn a fortune out of boxing.

Such a strange fight for ITV to put so much money in as Degale was never really a draw.

Beale likes this.
  6. Beale

Feb 13, 2023
    The huge problem is that IPTV now has millions of subscribers at approx £70 per year and growing rapidly by the week.

Ask around your local and you will not believe what is on offer at that price. Like the white powder and vapes, this is everywhere.

Box Office and numerous sports subscriptions are on the way out should this issue not be addressed

7. liger1992

Mar 29, 2015
    Again I am not convinced it has millions of subscribers. I would certainly think if it was I would know a lot more people who have it. I'm surprised by how many people I talk to who have never heard of it and then I have to explain how it all works.

However the numbers will only continue to grow. There is a reason why stories of sellers being convicted are hitting the news more and more. They are trying to scare people into thinking they could be arrested by having IPTV.

Beale likes this.
  8. Beale

Feb 13, 2023
    Complete opposite here.

Everybody has it and I am down as a mug for subscribing to Sky Sports and forking out for TNT Sports.

9. liger1992

Mar 29, 2015
    The broadcasters do not help themselves by not giving consumers what they want.

Consumers want to option to watch the EPL games they want (Sat 3pm games) and not the EPL games forced on them so one could argue those consumers are just going to a provider who gives them that choice.

The PBC show isn't on Amazon Prime in the UK and may not be on any broadcaster so again consumers have to look elsewhere where they can watch the fight.

The music industry had the same problems with piracy and eventually had to accept that offering people the option to stream everything for less than the cost of 1 CD album was the way to go. The negative however is very few artists actually make serious money from record sales now.

Beale likes this.
  10. Beale

Feb 13, 2023
    The amount of subscriptions will need to fall and the prices will need to come right down to combat this issue.

11. syldave

syldave Member Full Member

Apr 11, 2011
    It’s on FITE/Triller £19.99, so much for Prime showing PBC shows in international markets, I’d imagine FITE/Trillers PBC PPV numbers must make DAZN’s look great in comparison, PBC must be insane if they think there is a PPV market for their shows in the U.K.

rezzer likes this.
  12. liger1992

Mar 29, 2015
    Problem is which network will pay the rights fee for a fight not many people will watch at 4am.

Amazon not doing something similar to DAZN by showing the fights on non PPV outside the US is because this isn't a network deal where Amazon are paying PBC money.

13. Beale

Feb 13, 2023
    'Part of your subscription' for many on here.

14. chrisfinch

chrisfinch Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Can’t imagine PBC think there’s a PPV market over here, they’ve just not found anyone to buy the rights, so they must know that sticking it on a FITE PPV generates a bit more income than putting it on a free YouTube stream, which they’ve also done in the past.

15. syldave

syldave Member Full Member

Apr 11, 2011
    I was sure the Prime deal was announced as being outside the US too so I just went back and found the press release, I’ll copy and paste the relevant part below but it seems Prime have signed a deal to show the non PPV shows outside the US, I just can’t find any details on the ‘select countries’.

“Prime Video will distribute PBC’s industry-leading pay-per-view (PPV) events in the U.S, with the first event anticipated for March 2024. PBC PPV fights will be available for all viewers to purchase, regardless of Prime membership. Additionally, in the U.S. and select countries, Prime Video will exclusively stream a PBC Championship Boxing series of events, showcasing top matchups among boxing’s current and rising stars. Details on specific cards, dates, and locations will be announced at a later date. In addition to the live PBC events, Prime Video will continue to grow its Original sports content offerings, with behind-the-scenes PBC docuseries, live weigh-ins, as well as on-demand access to previous events, highlights, archival footage, and more.”

https://www.premierboxingchampions....d-pbc-announce-new-multiyear-rights-agreement