PBC for sale - Uncle Al selling up?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Glassbrain, May 22, 2019.

1. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    see my other post.Nobody would call him for paying his fighters top dollars but paying em one lump sum and asking em to fight only once is ultimately bad for the sport and the fighters.Danny Jacob's was the first to sign up with Hearn and Andrade followed as their careers were either stalling or in Andrades case practically on hold.

Robney, Ph33rknot and Rock0052 like this.
  2. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    I agree with you. It's unsustainable, ultimately. The guys on board first made great money (especially on a per fight basis), but it was never built in a way to provide a steady flow of fight dates over the long run. The more money his fighters got paid, the more Al made. His financial incentive was in overpaying his fighters immediately. Since he was also the one writing the checks, he was able to do that with no checks or balances.

From a fighters perspective , I can totally see the allure in the big paydays now, however. Take a guy like Lara, for example. He made way more money fighting overmatched fighters on PBC than he did vs Canelo and Paul Williams. Even after Al's cut, he made more cash for easier work than he did before.

In the long run, the sport suffers because good talent is kept on the sidelines.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Ph33rknot and Angler Andrew like this.
  3. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    I know some don't like Hearn but I think he cares for the sport.His father Barry Hearn has a reputation as a fixer.He took Darts out of the doldrums and made it huge and he's currently working to do the same for Snooker and giving them more tournaments and more opportunities for those outside the top sixteen.
    Haymon is the exact opposite imo and he should go and let someone do a better job.I thought for years that Andrade was either not interested or intent on ducking folk when the truth was anything but as his first action under Hearn was to fight Saunders.
    I'll bet there's loads like this Inc Wilder who ain't frightened of anyone but is being made to look an idiot as clearly Al Haymon didn't want him fighting Joshua for $100 million for some reason.

dougingb and Rock0052 like this.