Pedraza vs Davis

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Distrikt45, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Distrikt45

Distrikt45 New Member Full Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Thoughts on this one please? Personally would favour Pedraza as seems to have been fighting a higher class opponent - but haven't seen a great deal of Davis so am I wide of the mark?

2. Caper

Caper How about a fair shake? banned Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Some threads exist on this already......I'm rolling with mi patria (Pedraza) Davis is talented just not well rounded and experienced enough to "beat" the Sniper at this stage.

jmashyaka likes this.
  3. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    This is going to be a tough fight. Pedraza is a schooled boxer, with a superb and very accurate sniper like jab and can control distance with it very well. He's got good counter shots and can fight in the trenches if he needs to. Davis is the smaller guy and is going to have to take a few risks imo to get on the inside where he can explode at any second with speed and power in combination.

If he's able to get on the inside successfully then I can see him pulling it off, because he's a more compact fighter on the inside than pedraza. It's a good fight imo, but Pedraza is the type of guy who can spoil it all for Davis. Could it be too much, too soon? Well see Saturday night.

4. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Great test for Davis for sure. I can't wait.

rorschach51 and drenlou like this.
  5. rorschach51

rorschach51 A Legend & A Gentleman Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I got Davis in his best performance yet.

drenlou and Pimp C like this.
  6. Likely lad

Likely lad Active Member banned Full Member

Jan 2, 2017
    that davis lad doesnt deseve a title shot, he has only faced homeless mexicans

7. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Pedraza for me.

8. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    I never got around to seeing it, but what's the deal with the Pedraza/Cherry match? Did Cherry really deserve it, or was it simply a very sloppy/close fight?

Why did Pedraza struggle so much with a tough, albeit limited fighter?

kirk likes this.
  9. jmashyaka

jmashyaka Boxing Addict Full Member

May 7, 2016
    I had pedraza just edging it but I think a draw was what Cherry deserved for the effort.

Pedraza struggled because he was in with a tough gatekeeper, like a Salido type who pumped up is a nightmare. Cherry threw a ridiculous amount of power punchers and was so active on the inside that pedraza was really struggling with the power and activity of Cherry.

You can see pedraza is the type of guy who wants time to think and when he is allowed it he is a fluid and will vary his attack, picking good accurate shots, stepping to the side, pumping out the jab.

10. jmashyaka

jmashyaka Boxing Addict Full Member

May 7, 2016
    I got pedraza decision, Davis has a questionable gas tank and his power isn't gunna be enough for this fight in my opinion.

11. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Great info, thank you.

That's a great description of Cherry, along with the comparison to Salido. Some fighters are simply wild men in the ring, they can't be "tamed". You can't discourage them with a jab, or even hard shots. They don't give ground and don't care one bit how sloppy they do or don't look. They get in their and give it their all just about every time out. It's interesting watching fighters enter that kind of manic frenzy state for the duration of fights.

I was watching Davis against Guillermo Avila and I didn't like how Davis responded when the brawling Avila temporarily attempted to back off and box. Davis just didn't quite seem what to do, his work rate dropped and he looked ineffective unless he had his man standing right in front of him. He also does almost all of his good work with his left hand, and doesn't jab enough. My thoughts anyway.