People are overestimating young Joyce

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by VOXDEI, Sep 28, 2022.

1. VOXDEI

VOXDEI DUNCE Full Member

May 17, 2021
    Yes it's a shame in one sense that Joyce didn't come in to boxing at a younger age but much of what makes him great are the qualities that come with age.

- He wasn't as tough when he was younger and was easier to knock down.

He's lost two amateur fights by KO (Kuzmin and AJ) probably stopped early but even so.

- Joyce has grown into his frame massively as he has aged

- Joyce has that ever mysterious 'old man strength' that you only really develop in your mid-late 30's.

Not saying he would have been necessarily worse-off in the long run coming to the sport earlier but the guys on this forum suddenly suggesting he would have dominated the division for the last 10 years if only he had been boxing from a younger age are a bit delusional.

2. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
  3. SergioJ91

SergioJ91 Active Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2021
    Joyce loses to Fury, Usyk and Wilder. He's being way overhyped after beating Parker imo...

BEATDOWNZ, VOXDEI, MrBarry465 and 3 others like this.
  4. Mickc

Mickc Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    This is a boxing forum so the weeks after every big Heavyweight fight it follows a pattern on here,the winner is almost always lauded as the next BIG THING threads start popping up immediately how they would do this and that against the other top fighters in the current division and then threads asking where you would rank them in the ATG list,then threads stating how they would beat other big fighters from certain dates in History as well as threads comparing there best assets to past fighters and all the other hypothetical match ups they can think of.

kaapa2, Loudon, sasto and 5 others like this.
  5. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    Fury and Usyk are past their physical prime now. Fury and Usyk are easier to hit, although Usyk is still not easy to hit, he's clearly needing to take more rounds off.

Joyce should make anyone in the division worry, as they're not knocking him out, so they have to survive 12 rounds with relentless pressure.

It's hard enough having the likes of Usyk apply pressure at 220lbs, imagine 6ft 6 and 270lbs of brick wall with arms coming at you.

Col Mortimer, box33 and KernowWarrior like this.
  6. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Nope he's the number 2 HW on the planet

37 year old Joyce is twice the force 27 year old Joyce was

Joe Joyce only hit puberty when he turned 23

7. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    He has also modified his style a lot since the amateurs too and fights more measured.

sasto likes this.
  8. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Pro fighting is a different game to amateur boxing and sparring

AJ releasing old sparring tapes to take claim to bettering Joyce shows he is a bum and a mental midget.

By any good standard he uses his face for defence a little too much but I think he will be one of the first exceptions in history to get away with it. Fury & Usyk will be a massage for him.

9. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    I can see Joyce getting knocked out.

UnleashtheFURY likes this.
  10. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    If i or others are overestimating the ability of Joyce then i am happy to do so, as if he is over estimated he might get a title shot ASAP, time is not on his side so early opportunity is good

if we are overestimating then a champion will have a easy defence of his belt won't he?

sasto likes this.
  11. DramaShow

DramaShow 19 banned Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    This time two years ago the majority of the forum picked Dubois to stop Joyce. How quickly things change..

Wizbit1013, CST80 and VOXDEI like this.
  12. VOXDEI

VOXDEI DUNCE Full Member

May 17, 2021
    This is kind of the point im making though, he is much better than he was when young. Hence my thread.

Not sure he's number 2 - I think Wilder beats him, ironically Usyk and Fury might struggle more.

13. VOXDEI

VOXDEI DUNCE Full Member

May 17, 2021
    Overestimating YOUNG Joyce - realistically current age Joyce is 4th best Heavy.

14. box33

box33 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 25, 2021
    Yeah, you know Dubois wasn't doing so bad there with him, he was landing very good hard punches, Joyce damaging his eye so bad ended that fight more rather.

15. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015

You've just ranked him the 4th best HW in the world...

Col Mortimer and ArseBandit like this.