People comparing Wlad & Lewis are forgetting some big things

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Dekkers, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Dekkers

Dekkers Team Bergeron Full Member

Jul 8, 2005
    I think people are comparing Wlad and Lewis accurately on many fronts, jabs (maybe I even give the edge to Wlad, since he's more consistent with it), strength, right hands are comparable (Lewis a little more versatile with it, Wlad faster imo), footwork (i'll give Lewis the edge in balance), that's where people start leaving huge gaps though, that make me want to slap 'em a few times.

First of all their defence isn't really comparable, Wlad holds more than Lewis, if a guy comes inside he'll hold him, than either pushes him off or has the ref break them. Lewis occasionally throws hooks and uppercuts in close, and he'll often fight at that middle distance as well as outside. The reason Lewis is able to do that is because his defence has something that Wlads' is sorely missing, head and upper body movement, Wlad has absoloutely none, keeping opponents outside and holding are his defence.

I mentioned Lewis' other advantage in there briefly, infighting. Lewis is no master on the inside, but he has enough tools to make himself respected, he's a respectable defensive infighter (solid guard inside as well), and has an excellent KO weapon with his right uppercut. This part of Wlads' game is almost non-existent (I say almost non-existent because i've occasionally seen him throw an uppercut so I know it exists even if he hardly uses it).

Mentally Lewis is also a stronger fighter, Wlad in the past has been seen to turn away from punches (literally stick his hands out and turn his back), and rebuilding his confidence after his losses has been an arduous process. Even against Chris Byrd it was a few rounds before he had the confidence to throw some right hands, and this was a faded version of a fighter he previously destroyed. There's also a probability he may have sufferred a panic attack in the first fight with Brewster (it's a more plausible explanation than poisoning anyway).

2. Marnoff

Marnoff Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Klitschko wasn't afraid to throw his right hand against Byrd. The measuring pace with his left hand for the first few rounds has become his style.

3. Dekkers

Jul 8, 2005
    Not really, against Brewster (rematch) he started throwing the right hand earlier, in many of his past fights he throws the right hand far earlier. I think it's pretty clear he's throwing his big punches earlier since he's getting his confidence back, which is a good thing, Wlad is the sort of guy that'll never be 100% relaxed in the ring.

4. lefthook31

lefthook31 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jul 6, 2007
    I think the main thing is experience and competition. Other than Peter, Wlad hasnt really had the opponents to test him in different styles. The division is so weak, he cant really get any better. There is no opponents who can push him now that hes gotten better under Steward, thats why I think maybe a Holyfield fight or Rahman, or Mcall, maybe Tua if he gets a little better.

5. Dekkers

Jul 8, 2005
    I think Valuev could give him and interesting style match up (depending on how good Valuevs' chin is). I think he's a better choice than most of those fighters (minus a revitalised Tua), a rematch down the road with Peter if he keeps improving would also be interesting, also Povetkin down the track. Chagaev would also be a good choice (southpaw, tough, good skills, can punch) if he gets his health in order, not to mention the winner of Sultan v Holy, which would win him a few popularity contests which with casual fans is half the battle. I think also we'll see prospects like Haye and Solis come up as Wlad hits his mid 30's.

The competition is there for Wlad, he just has to keep improving, most wouldn't be favoured over Wlad, but if he looks impressive he'll be sure to get some credit.

6. lefthook31

lefthook31 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jul 6, 2007
    Valueav ohh I dont like him. Hes so slow. Im talking about fighters with good chins that can bring it. Like a young Ray Mercer type of fighter. Those are the type of guys that are going to be there the entire fight throwing punches and putting a lot of pressure on him. All these euro guys like to stay back and box from the outside, and noone is going to beat Wlad that way. You have to get past his jab and make him fight.

7. DoumB

DoumB HOYA KO1 PRESSCOT Full Member

Sep 18, 2006

your avatar simply crack me up:rofl

8. Dekkers

Jul 8, 2005
    Chagaevs' got very rounded skills, he can bring it inside (saw him mix it up inside with Ruiz, actually a pretty good fight, not much holding at all) and is a tough guy to boot. I think the Valuev fight is interesting since it give wlad a chance to try pushing inside and employing some head movement against a guy with a massive size advantage and decent jab (though i think Wlad will dance circles around him i'd still like to see it).

Povetkin has a very come forward style (boxer/swarmer sort of style), he's a pressure fighter no doubt (though I think this'll be a bad thing against Wlad), Sultan usually likes to come forward as well, swarming with fast combinations but he chose to box against Briggs. Imo, Povetkin has better defence than Sultan and is a better fighter.

If you're looking for a euro prospect who likes it inside check out Denis Boytsov, but I suspect he won't be as quick to move as Solis and Haye. Solis and Haye are both big punchers, Haye is also very relaxed and has fast hands if a bit chinny, has the potential to give Wlad trouble if he connects early (Herbie Hide style).

9. Dekkers

Jul 8, 2005
    He's going to fight Povetkin apparently, should be a lot of fun :yep