People who would beat Prime Liston.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by swagdelfadeel, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Jesus the IQ of this forum has dropped significantly over the last few months. Lost a lot of good posters to be replaced by…well just read above.

People saying past HWs weren’t skilled compared to today…same hw division that has Wilder. And a champ so fat he couldn’t properly duck a punch if he wanted to. Don’t waste your time with the trolls people.

2. Shay Sonya

Shay Sonya The REAL Wonder Woman! Full Member

Aug 15, 2021
    I heard that! I just looked at RING'S latest top five Heavyweight Rankings.

August 28th -

Champion: Tyson Fury
    #1 Anthony Joshua
    #2 Deontay Wilder
    #3 Dillian Whyte
    #4 Joseph Parker
    #5 Andy Ruiz Junior

People are saying that Joe Louis could not compete in this era? They are saying that Muhammad Ali would struggle with these guys? I believe these contenders would have a lot of problems with Sonny Liston, let alone the others I have mentioned. I have been in a boxing fan family, following boxing closely all of my life. I am just astonished to see boxing people who think that with a straight face! And they are just dismissive of anyone who thinks differently than they do. How will they ever learn anything that way? I have tried debating, engaging, and explaining in a courteous way to no avail. In return I was called names and told I am stupid and a liar - in so many words.

I think you are 100% right, Gazelle Punch. Thank you for the advice. Non-engagement is the sensible course of action in this case, unfortunately.

3. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Besides his jab, Liston was great because he was among the most well rounded and versatile boxers in history, and tore through the division like one-ply toilet paper culminating in an unprecedented pair of first round KOs over the undisputed champion, a feat which has never been accomplished to this day.

To quote one of my posts in another thread "He could outslug you as seen in nearly all his bouts but as the Machen, and Whitehurst bouts show, he also had very underrated boxing skills, and could easily go the distance with the best technicians of the era, dominating them at their own game. He could also change his game plan and make adjustments whenever necessary, as seen against Williams, and Machen."

4. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Not too many would beat prime Liston. My confident picks to defeat prime Liston would be prime Louis, Foreman, Holmes, and Jimmy Young. Naturally I think prime Liston still would have lost to Ali. I give Holyfield a good chance at beating Liston also, but am not entirely confident he would beat Liston; he certainly could.

5. moneytheman12

moneytheman12 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 4, 2021
    not that many you say didnt son had a hard time with people less then the high skilled boxers like ali

and would be beat by holy who many say is better then 70s ali

George would destroy him
    lennox the tallest skilled hw ever would best him easy
    mike
    Jimmy
    fury
    tua
    and mutiple others son wasnt hard to hit or outbox you need to watch more matches of him you have him overrated

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021