Pernell Whitaker V Ray Robinson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by TIGEREDGE, Aug 25, 2007.

1. TIGEREDGE

TIGEREDGE Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 10, 2007
    i fancy sweet pea to be able to beat the greatest ever. But i reckon sugar ray would figure him out and destroy him in a rematch

2. Street Lethal

Street Lethal Active Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Robinson is peerless at 147 pounds.

3. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004

Whitaker at 135lbs against Robinson at 147lbs is an unfair match. While Whitaker would present Robinson with serious problems, not sure he could pull out a victory.

But shrink Robinson by putting him in a washing machine, then tumble dry him on full spin, and out he comes at 135lbs with comparable power at lightweight. Whitaker would beat him if both were exactly the same size. It would be one hell of a close fight, but I'd side with Whitaker.

4. rekcutnevets

rekcutnevets Black Sash Full Member

May 25, 2007
    Robinson's size and power would be too much for Whitaker to overcome in this one. The impact of Robinson's punch would be the difference in any scenario you want for a Robinson victory. You can argue he'd land the cleaner blows to win a decision, you can argue he would knock him out.

Whitaker is my favorite fighter from the 90's, so I going to give him the benefit of the doubt in going the distance. The only time he was stopped was in his last fight, and he threw out his shoulder in that one.

5. Executioner

Executioner Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2006
    At 147 Robinson might just stop Whitaker. A ferocious hitter + blinding speed + amazing skill and being the naturally bigger man .. I predict Robinson stops him late.

6. Robbi

Jul 23, 2004
    Apart from power, Whitaker measures up well talent wise against Robinson. Probably better defense, and while Robinson gets credit for boxing well on the backfoot, not quite as good as Whitaker from what I have seen.

Robinson's knockout blow against Fullmer in the rematch was not delivered while going backwards as everyone likes to put it. Robinson was moving backwards, then stopped before firing the left hook which had Fullmer out. Its made out as if he let loose with the left hook on Fullmer's chin when moving backwards at the same time. Not the case.

7. Mantequilla

Mantequilla Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Robinson would beat Whitaker pretty thoroughly at Welter, and win a clear, but hard-fought decision P4P.

8. GazOC

GazOC Guest Star for Team Taff Full Member

Jan 7, 2005
    :good IMHO nobody beats Robinson at 147.

9. Robbi

Jul 23, 2004
    Whitaker was not in his prime at 147lbs, and if your prediction is a mythical match between Robinson at 147lbs and Whitaker at 135lbs. Its simply crazy and would not be sanctioned. Lets have them the both both squaring off prime for prime the same size, still crazy but easier to make a fair comparison. Whitaker doesn't get stopped, I think he'd win.

10. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
  11. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    At 147, Robinson by UD

12. Executioner

Executioner Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2006
    That's no guarantee. :deal