Pernell Whitaker vs Roberto Duran over 15 rounds at 135.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Shake, Aug 6, 2007.

1. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
  2. sues2nd

sues2nd Fading into Bolivian... Full Member

Aug 7, 2004
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cmon bro....:patsch

3. sues2nd

Aug 7, 2004
    Are you serious??????????

Ive posted this fight and my round by round. Its a clear, VERY CLEAR UD for Sweet Pea. Im not gonna get into this nonsense with people again, am I???

Now onto what would happen in this fight.

Pea is my all time favorite and I would favor him over most fighters in history (and able to back it up as well), but, this is one I just cant see him winning.

I do think he would keep it close, with his defense, speed and accurate punching. But Duran was an absolute ANIMAL at 135. Just too strong...and in a 15 round fight (something Whitaker never did) Duran would be more equipped to handle it.....with that said, in a 12 rounder, I could see Pea sneaking out a close UD or SD.

They asked Pernell about this on ESPN after his induction into the HOF, and even he says he would favor Duran. But, he then said at 140, he would have a better chance....which is something I also agree on.

All of that said, Whitaker was a one of a kind fighter....someone that we probably will never see again (unreal speed, amazing accuracy, VAST offensive arsenal, tremendous otherwordly defense, incredible workrate, iron chin, got stronger as fights went on, underrated power, picture perfect jab, I could keep going on forever...), so for anyone to just COUNT HIM OUT in this is insane.....Whitaker would always stand a chance against anyone.

But my pick.....Duran UD.

4. kg0208

kg0208 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Hmmm...not touching this one.

But I can't believe anyone had Chavez beating Whitaker.

5. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Duran by close UD, if Pernell not up to par, then late round stoppage.

6. sues2nd

Aug 7, 2004
    Gotta agree....no way he gets stopped, but....

7. Ramshall1

Ramshall1 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 16, 2007
    in what round would Pernell simply run out the ring?

8. kg0208

kg0208 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 8, 2005
    You simply don't like a certain style and therefore your opinion is invalidated on it. It's like being a critic of music you don't like. You can't critique it with any objectiveness.

9. DoumB

DoumB HOYA KO1 PRESSCOT Full Member

Sep 18, 2006
    no offense but your terribly biased in favor of sweet pea, there is a strong chance pea get stopped in this one, and I beleive it would be a one sided beat down, sweet pea even tho a defensive specimen could not hide for 15 rounds of ferocious attack like that and Duran is a lot better the chavez was beleive me

10. Ramshall1

May 16, 2007
    "boxing" and "running" are two different things. . . too bad youre too dumb to know the difference.

I kid Pernell alot, but he did "box" in some of his fights, like Tito. . . but he also ran in many, like DLH and Chavez.

11. DoumB

Sep 18, 2006
    yeah I scored that fight 8-4 for whitaker I cant actualy beleive someone who had chavez winning

12. Ramshall1

May 16, 2007
    what fight? All I remember is a track meet . . . props to Pernell for running backwards faster than Chavez can run forward.

13. Axe

Axe Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 23, 2005
    :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

That fight was a clinic put on by Sweet Pea, I had it 10-2.

14. Muchmoore

Muchmoore Guest

Both of these fighters are my favorite little guys of all time.

That being said, I would pick a young ferocious Duran over Sweet Pea by close decision. This is a toss up though and I could see Whitaker who is the greatest defensive boxer of all time outboxing him.

15. DoumB

Sep 18, 2006
    no need to try to insult me my friend, dont get too defensive, I tell it like I and many see's it, Trinidad while being a harder puncher is no where near as accurate and relentless like Duran, Duran wouldnt stop Pea with one punch its 100% sure, accumation is what I see, 15 round is long and fighting on the back foot all night takes a lot out of u especialy when u take a lot of punishement,

The way I see it is Pea take like 4 of the first 6-7 rounds and then he starts to slow down, his movement would slow down and his reflexes would be also slower in the rest of the fight, thats where the beat down would happen in my eyes,

I dont think Pea cannot win it, but I think its fair to say that this isnt a 50/50 fight but a fight that duran should be slightly favored

:good didnt mean to insult u btw